none
Sharepoint 2007 - Excel Calculation Services activated, but service fails to start

Întrebare

• Please be kind, this is my first post here.

This is a SharePoint 2007 single server installation with Enterprise Features licensed and enabled. We are having  the problem of the Excel Calculation Services service not starting. Upon trying to start the service via the Services on Server screen in Central Administration (Central Administration > Operations > Services on Server), EventIDs 6482 and 7034 are logged in the Application Event log.  All other services on the Services on Server screen are showing as Started. Below are the application log entries. Though Event 7034 instructs us to 're-run the action', we have done so to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category:    Office Server Shared Services
    Event ID:    6482
    Date:        3/2/2012
    Time:        10:11:42 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    MOSSSERVER
    Description:
    Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchAdminSharedWebServiceInstance (f932d418-69dd-4509-a73b-97a973bc65f7).

Reason: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Configuration.DefaultSection' to type 'Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedServiceConfigurationSection'.

Techinal Support Details:
    System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Configuration.DefaultSection' to type 'Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedServiceConfigurationSection'.
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedWebServiceInstance.ProvisionRootWebConfigSettings()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedWebServiceInstance.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    =====================================================================
    Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event Category:    Topology
    Event ID:    7034
    Date:        3/2/2012
    Time:        10:11:33 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    MOSSSERVER
    Description:
    An attempt to start/stop instance  of service Excel Calculation Services on server MOSSSERVER did not succeed.  Re-run the action via UI or command line on the specified server. Additional information is below.

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Configuration.DefaultSection' to type 'Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedServiceConfigurationSection'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2 martie 2012 16:36

Toate mesajele

•  

Hi  jsbryner,

Please go to your SharePoint Central Administration(Operations-> Timer Job Status), please ensure the time job of SharePoint is work well. Then do the steps as the following.

1. Find the command prompt under the start menu

2. Change directories to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\bin.

3. Run the following command:

STSADM.EXE -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.ExcelServerSharedWebService, Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"

Thanks,

Jack

5 martie 2012 08:21
  • Hi Jack,

We've tried that as that action was found in an earlier post. Seems our issue is that the SQL Tables used by/for Excel Services are "missing." As a way to determine if that was the case, we created an install of Sharepoint 2007 on another machine with Enterprise Features enabled. We went into SQL Enterprise Manager and looked at the tables under the DB for the shared service Excel Services runs under and there were tables prefixed with AR_ that are not in our production (problematic) Sharepoint 2007.  I read a post where someone said to use SQL to script the CREATE of those tables and then used that generated script to (re)CREATE the tables in the problematic Sharepoint installation. However, I can't find that post so; (1) I can't recall if the AR_ prefixed tables are the only missing ones, and (2) don't recall seeing any definitive info that it worked. My sense is that if I (re)CREATE them on the Sharepoint install I am have Excel Services issues on it can't do much more harm (famous last words). 

If anyone can pick up on this thread and give me some feedback, we'd appreciate it.

jsbryner

16 martie 2012 19:39