none
Office 2010 MAK Activation

Întrebare

• I want to deploy Office 2010 Professional Plus to my users and activate it using MAK. I tested the deployment using a startup script in a test environment and the product installed silently according to the settings in the MST I created using OCT. The only problem seems to be activation - it requires the user to have administrative privileges to activate Office and the UAC prompt (Windows 7 Enterprise) pops up when the user tries to activate. Is there a way to make office automatically activate itself - either immediately after installation or after the trial period expires? Windows 7 does this 3 days after installation, does Office offer this feature? It'd be quite dull if automatic activation was not available since all the effort in creating a deployment that does not require administrative credentials from the user would be useless when in the end an administrator must clear the UAC prompt manually. Thanks in advance for your replies.
    • Mutat de Jennifer Zhan 18 iunie 2010 05:42 (From:Office Setup and Deployment)
    17 iunie 2010 16:37

Răspunsuri

• There are a couple of things you could do depending on what's more important.

Option 1. Activate as part of installation: in the OCT, run the command line script ospp.vbs /act.  That way, when Office is installed, it will also activate.

Option 2. Allow the user to activate online: set the UserOperations registry key.  This will allow users to activate without admin privileges.  You can set this directly in the registry as part of the OCT, or run ospp.vbs /puserops.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    18 iunie 2010 16:47

Toate mesajele

• There are a couple of things you could do depending on what's more important.

Option 1. Activate as part of installation: in the OCT, run the command line script ospp.vbs /act.  That way, when Office is installed, it will also activate.

Option 2. Allow the user to activate online: set the UserOperations registry key.  This will allow users to activate without admin privileges.  You can set this directly in the registry as part of the OCT, or run ospp.vbs /puserops.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    18 iunie 2010 16:47
  • Thanks. I'll try these next time. I was in a hurry and I activated manually and remotely each PC using ospp.vbs /act %computername% %username% %password%. It's not a big deal for 20, but of course what you suggest is more elegant.
    18 iunie 2010 22:43
  • No problem... if you've already deployed Office and you want to manage activation, then another option is to use the VAMT 2.0 tool.  Then you can see all the computers (you'll need to open WMI through the firewall) and activate them all at once.
    19 iunie 2010 01:07
  • Btw, I tested the Option 1 that you suggested. I added a new command in Office Customization Tool - Add installations and run programs. It looks like this:

But unfortunately Office was not activated when I started Excel after the installation - the activation wizard appeared. Am I entering the command correctly?

19 iunie 2010 16:38
  • Okay, it worked, but I needed to edit the Arguments field. Obviously the command gets disturbed by the %ProgramFiles% environment variable. I replaced it with the actual path "C:\Program Files" and the activation was performed successfully. But it's strange since I suppose this environment variable must be available at the time of activation, even when no user is logged on since it is a system variable. This would introduce difficulties if some of the computers did not have the Program Files folder in C:\Program Files.
    19 iunie 2010 17:37
  • Have you tried using [ProgramFilesFolder] as documented at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx#Add_installations_and_run_programs ?
    16 septembrie 2010 18:43
  • In the OCT, select Modify Setup properties on the left pane, and then click Add in the right pane.

In the Add Property Value dialog box, in the Name box, type AUTO_ACTIVATE. Note that property names must be uppercase.

In the Value box, type 1, and then click OK.
    12 septembrie 2011 16:37
  • Dear Ted,

Can you please let me know how to use Option 1 in detail.

I have the MAK and I want to deploy Office 2010 in our organzation of 4000 workstations. Do I need to setup KMS or Option 1 described above  will resolve the issue.

If Yes, please let me know how to configure that in detail while creating the Office 2010 package using OCT.

If KMS needs to be setup, please let me know what are the detailsed steps required for the same and the procedure.

Thanks in advance!

Uttam Kumar Sahoo
    20 septembrie 2011 00:04
  • There's no need to activate the office 2010 using ospp.vbs as it makes the job double. simply do this below:

While customizing the office 2010 in OCT(office cusotmization tool), select Modify Setup properties on the left pane, and then click Add in the right pane.

In the Add Property Value dialog box, in the Name box, type AUTO_ACTIVATE. Note that property names must be uppercase.

24 septembrie 2011 07:09
  • There's no need to activate the office 2010 using ospp.vbs as it makes the job double. simply do this below:

While customizing the office 2010 in OCT(office cusotmization tool), select Modify Setup properties on the left pane, and then click Add in the right pane.

I can not get this to activate Office 2010. We are deploying Office 2010 to around 500 employees and really need to get the MAK to automatically activate. Thanks.

Kathy Wingfield
    2 februarie 2012 19:17
  • Hi, for 500 pc's I'd strongly recommend you consider a KMS solution instead of MAK.

If you must use MAK:

your users (or the account installing/activating Office) will need to be an admin on the local machine, AND will need transparent, unauthenticated http access to the MS activation webservers.

If the users/accounts performing activation of Office, don't have local admin, then you will need to set the USEROPERATIONS registry key (or settings element in config.xml), which lowers the required privilege level for activation to occur.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624357.aspx

Don

• Editat de DonPick 3 februarie 2012 08:01
    3 februarie 2012 07:44
  • But I can confirm that the AUTO_ACTIVATE parameter does its job. I have done two deployments of Office using MAK and this method and it works. Maybe you have missed something while configuring the options in the OCT? Have you placed the patch file from the OCT in the Updates folder of the Office 2010 deployment share? Bear in mind that only one patch file from the OCT can be applied during the installation.
    3 februarie 2012 07:49
  • Yes it is the only OCT patch file. I have other updates in there from SP1 but only one custom file. All other customizations work fine. I am not sure what I am missing.
    Kathy Wingfield
    3 februarie 2012 12:52
  • Yes it is the only OCT patch file. I have other updates in there from SP1 but only one custom file. All other customizations work fine. I am not sure what I am missing.
    Kathy Wingfield

I remember this also happened to me when rolling out to about 500 workstations. I ended up using the VAMT 2.0 tool to finish the job. I used AUTO_ACTIVATE, changed the config.xml file, and used a custom .msp from the OCT and nothing worked.
    3 februarie 2012 21:44
  • Kathy, is this for WinXP clients by any chance?

WinXP doesn't have the slsvc/spp service built-in (Vista and Win7 do have it built-in), there are a few articles around which suggest that WinXP might be more troublesome, since the service is usually only started when an Office app is launched.

Also, the AUTO_ACTIVATE setting apparently only makes a single attempt and then ends, so some people have reported a better success rate by including a setup chaining item to launch ospp.vbs /act, or by following the setup with a scripted ospp.vbs /act

Don
    3 februarie 2012 22:27
  • Don no these are strictly Windows 7 clients. Thanks for all the input here.

Kathy

Kathy Wingfield

7 februarie 2012 14:36
  • Looking at the event logs I am getting the following error running the script via sccm.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Office Software Protection Platform Service
    Date:          2/7/2012 12:25:25 PM
    Event ID:      8200
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:     xxxxxxxx

Description:
    License acquisition failure details.
    hr=0x80072EFE

Kathy Wingfield

10 februarie 2012 13:24
  • @Kathy

hmmm,

running the error lookup: slui.exe 0x2a 0x80072efe

returns this:
    Code: 0x80072EFE
    Description: The connection with the server was terminated abnormally

are you sure the networking/proxy/firewall/etc aspects are all ok?
    [can you check that the account being used to do the install, has no internet access issues at your network side?]

e.g. you are using ConfigMgr, so it's likely that the install is running as LocalSystem.
    on a client pc, use the sysinternal utility, psexec, to open a console session as LocalSystem.
    hint: psexec -s -i cmd.exe

from this console session, anything launched will do so in the LocalSystem security context.
    kickoff the office install in the same way your ConfigMgr program does (eg from the ConfigMgr client cache or run from the same UNC or whatever you're doing)

what happens?
    if it works, or fails to auto-activate, from this console session, try an ospp.vbs /act
    what happens?

Don

10 februarie 2012 23:29
  • It will activate under the local administrator account and is set to go through proxy. I can run the command from the local administrator account it will activate office fine. It will just not run through sccm I am getting very frustrated here.

Kathy Wingfield

20 februarie 2012 20:43
  • Kathy, on a sample machine, are there events logged that suggest an activation attempt has occurred, and failed?
    (now I'm wondering if it's trying and failing, or just not trying)

is there a way to confirm the sample machine is opening a session to ms.com servers (logs at proxy)?

Don

21 februarie 2012 10:11
  • Note for Win7 (not sure if it's just 64 Bit or not)

CD to c:\program files (x86)\microsoft office\office14\

Run cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:(your MAK Key Here)

then

Run cscript ospp.vbs /act

23 martie 2012 19:16
  • I'm about to go on a terrible rant here, but will try to contain my UTTER HATRED of microsoft for the time being.  I too, am attempting to deploy an Office product, Project 2010, trough SCCM to users who do not have admin privs on their machines.  The deployment EVENTUALLY worked (don't get me started on the utter f'ing brain damage THAT took through SCCM), silently deploying Project 2010 to a machine, only to find that the user was prompted for activation and had to do so as an admin.  I used a MAK key in the MDT for this deployment.  After reading the string above, I'm convinced of a couple of things:  A- Anyone who thinks Micorsoft has any clue is an idiot (I include myself here- but I'm getting much better) and B- clearly NOBODY has a very good, documented solution to solving this problem.  There are too many options, there is apparently no right answer, there are too many options.  There shoudl be one, easy to find, Microsoft proscribed SOLUTION to this problem.  Wake the F up, Microsoft. F! F! F! F!!!!!!

DLovitt

5 aprilie 2012 17:20
  • Note for Win7 (not sure if it's just 64 Bit or not)

CD to c:\program files (x86)\microsoft office\office14\

Run cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:(your MAK Key Here)

then

Run cscript ospp.vbs /act

this worked for me .. nothing else did.. and I agree with Darius .. this is just too complicated to get working.. it's easier to just crack the stuff and not be bothered.
    21 mai 2012 14:11
  • The topic is for Office volume activation but as far as Windows 7 is concerned, you can input the key in the answer file (assuming you are deploying Windows with images and AIK) and after the installation is completed Windows will try to autoactivate within 3 days. You really don't need to do anything more aboit it.
    21 mai 2012 17:13
  • Hi Guys, I am having the same problem as yours Kathy and Darius, problem in product key activation for Project 2010. It's not working even if you use AUTO_ACTIVATE = 1 via OCT, or changing the reg value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform],  I even tried using the /act,  cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:, still I am having the ERROR CODE: 0x80072EFD and still requires a Product Key Activation..... Does anyone from you already figured out on how to fix this problem on a limited user account? thanks in advance!!!
    28 iunie 2012 10:37
  • Eric,

I feel your pain.  I went the AUTO_ACTIVATE route:

In the OCT, select Modify Setup properties on the left pane, and then click Add in the right pane.

I can't speak to the resiliency, robustness, problems with proxy, blah, blah, blah... but so far, this has worked for me.  My users have no local admin privs.  NO Script, NO other tool, obviously NO other .msp file in the "Updates" folder in the package unless you call your particular .msp explicitly in the install parameter. 

I guess if I were you, I'd start over from scratch starting with creating a new extract of the program, admin install, and create a new package (assuming sccm) using this AUTO_ACTIVATE route.

Can't believe I have to invoke the Great Diety's protection when it comes to Microsoft, but God bless us all :)

DLovitt

28 iunie 2012 15:05