none
Bad login leads to blank page.

Întrebare

• When a user logs into SharePoint and provides bad credentials three times, they are redirected to a blank screen.  This seems to be highly uninformative to the user, usually resulting in our helpdesk being told that our site has froze.

Is there a way to either 1) notify the user on the first failed login that their credentials are wrong; or 2) after the third failed attempt, redirect the user to something other than a blank page?

13 iunie 2012 21:43

Răspunsuri

• Josh,

The "pop-up Window" is Windows Authentication.

You could use another (Claims-based) authentication Method like forms or saml redirect (ADFS). BUT: its a huge change you will have issues regarding People Picker, Client Integration etc.

With 'basic' Authentication you could get rid of the domain-name prefix.

We use Claims - hopefully i won't have to change it.

With SP you cannot have everything at one Time.

regards

MArkus

18 iunie 2012 21:21

Toate mesajele

• You'll need to respond to a 401 & 402 error, and capture that with a redirection.  A few good blog examples about and perhaps their examples will suit. Here are a couple to start you off:

http://pcfromdc.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/sharepoint-custom-login-error-401-page.html

http://howtosharepoint.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/redirect-to-custom-401-page-invalid.html

Regards John Timney http://www.johntimney.com

17 iunie 2012 22:21
  • Thank you, John and Kamlesh.  

I have never been a huge fan of the way in which our authentication works, with the pop-up screen.  Our external users have to remember to enter their username as domain\username, which leads to all sorts of headaches (our users are scientists of varying computing backgrounds; I myself am a scientist who has moved to the IT arena).  The blank screen leads them often to believe that their browser has become frozen, which they blame on SharePoint.

This leads me to a follow-up, which might be better-suited for a new thread - I'm not sure.  In place of the pop-up window, is there a way to create a login page for the whole site?  The page could provide more descriptive instructions on signing in, and even perhaps could allow the user to sign it without specifying the domain (it could be affixed later, perhaps).  Basically, when the user clicks "Sign In," they would navigate to a sign-in page, login, and then be re-directed to the referring page.

Thanks again!

18 iunie 2012 20:30
  • Josh,

The "pop-up Window" is Windows Authentication.

You could use another (Claims-based) authentication Method like forms or saml redirect (ADFS). BUT: its a huge change you will have issues regarding People Picker, Client Integration etc.

With 'basic' Authentication you could get rid of the domain-name prefix.

We use Claims - hopefully i won't have to change it.

With SP you cannot have everything at one Time.

regards

MArkus

18 iunie 2012 21:21
  • Hey Markus,

Thanks.  I had figured that there wouldn't be a straightforward approach.  Clearly, I have a lot to learn.  Improving the sign-in process is a project that I've assigned myself, and so there is no deadline.

Getting rid of the domain prefix would be a great first start.  My understanding was that the domain name prefix became required when we switched over to SSL. Does that make sense?  The prefix is a huge pain for our off-site users: getting the slash in the right direction, remembering the prefix in the first place, etc.

19 iunie 2012 17:56
  • in IIS Manager - Authentication select basic authentication you can define a default domain. It works with SSL.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg558567.aspx

19 iunie 2012 22:39
  • Don't know why this got so many points, it does not provide the answer or even refer to the question. It is not dealing with getting a blank page when you access the site.  It is an

Unauthorized Access is denied due to invalid credentials. It is the inability to set a custom error page through IIS 7 as SharePoint overrides that with the accessDenied.aspx page in _layouts, for unauthorized access but not due to expired or typed incorrect password. For that you get a blank page.  Sorry this is so big, can't seem to change the font?

25 septembrie 2012 18:19