none
How to deploy Visual Studio 2012 (Solution)

Вопрос

• I recently had to deploy Visual Studio 2012 and could not find any useful information on how to achieve this.  I documented how I did it on my blog in case anyone else needs to do this as the only guide I found (Microsofts own) contains assumed knowledge and several major errors that will result in deployment failure.

So I'm not sure if I'm allowed to 'pre-empt' any questions of this nature but here's how I did it. (Please delete this post if this is not allowed)

http://fearthemonkey.co.uk/how-to-deploy-visual-studio-2012-with-configuration-manager-2012/

9 ноября 2012 г. 14:19

Ответы

• It's a silent deploy that requires a reboot mid installation.  I couldn't find a msi for the Visual studio deployment part so that was not an option for me.

I was also trying to follow and decipher the poorly implemented Microsoft guide which demonstrates it using packages.  At the time I was heavily invested in their set of instructions as it was my method for deploying it quickly as it seemed a nice set of step by step instructions (Oh how wrong was i?!!)

If you manage to achieve it using the new application model please feel free to post a how to and I'll be glad to give it a go.  If it works I'll stick it on my blog and give you full credit.  My gut feeling is it's not as simple as you think. ;-)

• Предложено в качестве ответа au_user 10 декабря 2012 г. 22:16
    • Помечено в качестве ответа Robert Marshall - MVPMVP, Moderator 20 декабря 2012 г. 12:23
    9 ноября 2012 г. 16:03
  • What deployment options are you using in SCCM? Install as system or user?
    • Помечено в качестве ответа Robert Marshall - MVPMVP, Moderator 20 декабря 2012 г. 12:23
    10 декабря 2012 г. 5:26

Все ответы

• I'd prefer using the new Application Model rather than the oldschool packages...

Shouldn't be too difficult I think?

9 ноября 2012 г. 15:37
  • It's a silent deploy that requires a reboot mid installation.  I couldn't find a msi for the Visual studio deployment part so that was not an option for me.

I was also trying to follow and decipher the poorly implemented Microsoft guide which demonstrates it using packages.  At the time I was heavily invested in their set of instructions as it was my method for deploying it quickly as it seemed a nice set of step by step instructions (Oh how wrong was i?!!)

If you manage to achieve it using the new application model please feel free to post a how to and I'll be glad to give it a go.  If it works I'll stick it on my blog and give you full credit.  My gut feeling is it's not as simple as you think. ;-)

9 ноября 2012 г. 16:03
  • What is preventing you from creating it as an application so you use the app catalog as opposed to a package? I would also create the .net framework install as a seperate application and link it as a dependency of Visual Studio.

15 ноября 2012 г. 23:20
  • I've just downloaded VS 2012 Pro and opened it up. The exe actually calls on seperate MSI files per "SelectableItem" instead of having each as a feature of a single MSI with scripted pre-req installs. SAP packages do it the same way with over 650 MSI's for the package. Frustrating.. and probably not worth the effort of using the MSI's.

Anyway using silent exe install with .xml should still work fine as an application in SCCM.

16 ноября 2012 г. 0:43
  • Everytime I use this forum it never fails to amaze me of it's elitist atmosphere.  I doubt very much I'll use it again. My work colleague says he has exactly the same experience here so I'm not being paranoid. 

Everyone is quick to criticize and say how they would do it and how great they are at all things technical but not actually have done it. When I searched for this for a quick solution I found nothing.  All I wanted to do was share the love once I'd sorted out the method.

The thing is, and here's the thing, you're all missing the point.  Packages still have their time and place.  In the situation I was in, I needed a silent deploy that would take place out of hours (due to the fact that the installation of VS2012 is massive and requires a mid-installation reboot - I could hardly deploy this to students and 10 minutes into their lesson the computer reboots in order to carry on. 

The facts are, I wanted a very quick deployment method that would work without any time spent on it and the Microsoft instructions looked like they did just that.  True, I could have gone down the application method but as I already pointed out I had already followed the MS instructions so it was quicker for me to just fix their errors in getting the deployment to work.

Even now - having got a little more time at work and not so rushed today, if the job came up again I would still choose to create it as a package as the way VS installs its just a lot simpler and quicker.

So if you really want to do it as an application - go ahead and knock yourself out.  I may put it on my blog at some point on how to do it as another step-by-step for any newbs - but in a rough nutshell here's how: simply choose to create an application and manually specify the application information and when you get to the deployment type choose 'Script Installer (Native).  From there you can browse to the Visual Studio setup.exe and add the paramaters of /q /norestart /noweb /full or whatever floats your boat.   You still need to do the same for .net4.5 with the appropriate paramaters for the setup and you will still need to have mid installation reboots. I tried it and it works fine although for some reason it required two reboots instead of one using the package method.

16 ноября 2012 г. 11:07
  • I strongly encourage you to keep blogging your experiences.

There is nothing wrong with posting items like yours.  

Yes, Applications are the new cool thing but again there is nothing wrong with using package and program, each have their place.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

16 ноября 2012 г. 14:05
  • OzThe2, noone criticized your post and I encourage people to post as much as possible (especially blogs like yours with instructions). The more information and solutions on the net the better. Usually I'm the one searching for them.

You said you would be interested in using the application model but had issues so I simply asked what was preventing you from using it to try to help which you havn't answered. Then gave a more recommended way of using dependencies instead of having preqs in as another program of the same package, this is preferred as it's easier to manage.

Applications can do pretty much the same as packages but also gives you the option to use the application catalog too. You can still run them silently and schedule them for after hours deployment if that's what you need to do. I'll give this a shot over the weekend to verify this.

17 ноября 2012 г. 4:52
  • I found your blog pretty useful. It confirmed a couple of steps for me so thanks for that. I hope that my question is not seen to be a hijack or dragging up old posts but I feel that an answer may be useful to other readers.

I have run into a problem with my VS 2012 install. I am installing via the application method with a custom admindeployment.xml so that users can select when they want to install it from the software centre. I have successfully done this for many applications including Expression Studio 4 and Office 2010 but when installing Visual Studio the user is prompted for an administrator password (users in our enviroment are not local admins). I am not sure what has caused this. Has anyone got any insight?

10 декабря 2012 г. 4:16
  • What deployment options are you using in SCCM? Install as system or user?
    10 декабря 2012 г. 5:26
  • Thankyou Micka! I must have changed that and not noticed, so simple. Cheers!
    10 декабря 2012 г. 22:16
  • The new Application model does have its uses but it doesn't fit every scenario. Packages are useful indeed, and you solved your puzzle using them no? Then for you, they were the correct tools for the job aside from what you may think others are suggesting :-) Job done!

I do like to read about peoples discoveries so please do continue ... I also learn from it here and there ... there isn't anyone on this Forum that knows the product 100%, the MVP's or even the Product Group responsible for it. That complexity and depth is the what keeps me working with it after 9 years.

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG

16 декабря 2012 г. 22:01