none
Move files into folders based on month created

Question

• I am new to the scripting world and I would lke to develop a script that would move files from a source folder into new folders that are named according to the year and month of the file's last modification date. I might need to put the target folders on another computer. E.g., For files created during February of 2012, move them into a folder structure named \\target_computer\root_folder\2012\February. I have thousands of files that need to be organized in this fashion. The file names themselves do not contain any date info, I would need to look at the modification date on the file.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• What script language are you familiar with?  Any?

Also, have you tried searching the gallery/repository for examples.  This is a FAQ so I'm almost positive you will find examples in several scripting languages there.

Tom Lavedas

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:32 PM

All replies

• What script language are you familiar with?  Any?

Also, have you tried searching the gallery/repository for examples.  This is a FAQ so I'm almost positive you will find examples in several scripting languages there.

Tom Lavedas

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:32 PM
  • I hunt and peck my way through VB. Did not know about the repository, so will take a look in there. Thank you.

DaveK

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:40 PM