none
removing office 2003 files after verifying they have been converted

Question

• How can remove all the 2003 doc, xls, ppt, pps files on the network after verifying they have been converted to 2007 format using ofc.exe?

I need the following process.
    Find all office 2003 files xls, ppt, pps, doc on the network.
    Convert them to Office 2007 format. ( I can get this far)
    Verify each file has been converted, and then delete the old 2003 format file.
    I seem to be having problems with deleting some files that are in compressed folders.

(I can run OFC.exe and it will create a new docx ... in the same folder, for documents in compressed folders it creates another folder with the document. But using scripts I cannot delete the old .doc files in compressed folders.)

You guys are the experts so I hope you help. We want to convert all files as we migrated to 2007 and would love to save the disk space.

Thank you.

Leonard
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 7:46 AM

Answers

• This sounds really straight forward. What you want to do logically is:

For each file in a folder, look for duplicate name.* where a *.docx or xlsx or pptx exits
    then if found delete name.doc or name.xls or name.ppt

Have a look in the scripting archive as there's tons of scripts to do file searches. And when you get started on your script, post back for help. Please have a go yourselves first.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:45 PM

All replies

• Leo_IT

I have the same predicament with my conversion. Were you able to figure out a way to delete the converted files?

-MA
    -Mario Arce
    Monday, June 08, 2009 8:56 PM
  • I am trying to clear up the older open posts on this forum. If this is still an unresolved issue for you please let me know. If you do not post back within one week I will assume it is resolved and will close this thread.

Thank you

Ed Wilson
    Microsoft Scripting Guy
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:48 AM
    Owner
  • Still unresolved. We would like to convert everything to save space, but the tool makes duplicates, and does not simply convert.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Yep... still unresolved. I second Leo_IT... not a practical tool.
    -Mario Arce
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:35 PM
  • This sounds really straight forward. What you want to do logically is:

For each file in a folder, look for duplicate name.* where a *.docx or xlsx or pptx exits
    then if found delete name.doc or name.xls or name.ppt

Have a look in the scripting archive as there's tons of scripts to do file searches. And when you get started on your script, post back for help. Please have a go yourselves first.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:45 PM