none
shutdown of domain computers on a windows 2003 server

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I need a way of shutdown my windows 7 computers in my 2003 server domain.

i need that shutdown to occur daily and automatically without user input.

i would perfer not to have the server issue the command everytime, but a way of the windows 7 computer know they need to shutdown.

i also need to be able to have it sent out from the server as i have over 600 desktops.

There is no chance of upgrading to 2008.

Monday, May 07, 2012 2:36 PM

Answers

• Windows 7 and later.= wit hRSAT ion WS2003 domain.

GP Prefs.

Set scedule to Update and schedule "shutdown.exe" with args "-r -f"

No need fro a script.  It is all built inot system.  Run under administraors group.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:54 AM

All replies

• The normal method of doing this would be from a central script.

However, because you don't want to issue the command to all 600 computers from one script, you now have the task of scripting 600 Scheduled Tasks for your workstations, and copying the script 600 times to all workstations.

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Monday, May 07, 2012 2:50 PM
  • I need a way of shutdown my windows 7 computers in my 2003 server domain.

Why?

Bill

Monday, May 07, 2012 3:13 PM
  • The normal method of doing this would be from a central script.

However, because you don't want to issue the command to all 600 computers from one script, you now have the task of scripting 600 Scheduled Tasks for your workstations, and copying the script 600 times to all workstations.

WIndows 7 can use GPP to define tasks.  The taske can be a script that notifies teh user of the shutdown and then timesout before a shutdown.

You will need to install RSAT on a Win7 system.  I highly recommend doing this for overall management convenince.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, May 07, 2012 3:37 PM
  • If you do not need to notify your users about the shutdown, you can use a scheduled task running under the SYSTEM account to do just that. The easiest method and with the least administrative overhead, imho, would be to use GPP as mentioned earlier. A sample shutdown script is shown below (you can push this to all your computers as a scheduled task via GPP):

strComputer = "." strShutdown = "shutdown.exe /f /s /m \\" & strComputer Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2") objShell.Run strShutdown

Regards,
    Salvador Manaois III
    MCSE MCSA CEH MCITP | Enterprise/Server Admin
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate
    http://www.badzmanaois.com

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:21 AM
  • Windows 7 and later.= wit hRSAT ion WS2003 domain.

GP Prefs.

Set scedule to Update and schedule "shutdown.exe" with args "-r -f"

No need fro a script.  It is all built inot system.  Run under administraors group.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Another thought:  Restarting 600 client computers at the same time may put too much load on the DC infrasctructure.  I would restart the pc's in batches.  See a script I wrote:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Restart-computers-in-a122b3cc

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Another thought:  Restarting 600 client computers at the same time may put too much load on the DC infrasctructure.  I would restart the pc's in batches.  See a script I wrote:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Restart-computers-in-a122b3cc

The sceduler can be set to do a random time offest around a specific time.  GPP can set this up on all machies.  They will restart randoml,y over as much of a time field as you think is needed. For 600 I would say about two hours which is 30 a minutes.  The DCs should have no issues with that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:52 PM