none
RE-Installing Pwershell 3.0

Question

• I had Powershell ISE version 3.0 (x64) installed before people at the MS help center, in whatever country it is, mess up everything on my computer and I was forced to reinstall windows 8, twice, to correct some issuesthey could not fix.
    • I have downloaded the 6.1 x64 version from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34595 and on install i get an error that the "update is not applicable", this is the same app prior to everything getting screwed up that I installed.  I have scripts that cant run with the current version of Powershell.I need v3.0 to run them
    • I had no idea how many Windows Features(on panel) need enabled, i prefer not to just enable everything. 
    • I ran windows update, every update installed that should have.
    • So whats next?
    • Changed type skibo1219 Monday, February 18, 2013 1:16 PM
    • Changed type skibo1219 Monday, February 18, 2013 1:16 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 11:48 AM

Answers

• PowerShell 3 is built into Windows (and Server 2012) so there is no way to re-install it. The 'this update is not applicable' error message is entirely correct - you don't need it since PowerShell is already installed.

What error do you get when trying to run PowerShell?  The forum is not a place for mind reading <grin>, but can help if you disclose the details.

Thomas Lee <DoctorDNS@Gmail.Com>

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:18 PM

All replies

• in Windows 8 PS 3.0 is built in OS, You can turn it on/off but You can't uninstall/reinstall this feature

That's why You get 'update is not applicable'

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:01 PM
  • PowerShell 3 is built into Windows (and Server 2012) so there is no way to re-install it. The 'this update is not applicable' error message is entirely correct - you don't need it since PowerShell is already installed.

What error do you get when trying to run PowerShell?  The forum is not a place for mind reading <grin>, but can help if you disclose the details.

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:18 PM
  • I am following up with the OP via email as he can not post here - he's hitting the empty box issue. :-(

Suffice it to say the OP indeed does have PowerShell v3 running in Windows 8 and it's basically working. I suspect his problems are permissions and execution policy related.

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:58 PM