none
messagebox in powershell with no buttons

Question

• Hello all,

I want to make a message box that covers the whole screen while my script runs (so that the user cant do anything). Basically it should just have the message that the script is running with no buttons or anything to push. When the script is done I want to then get rid of the box. Does anyone know how to do this in a script like powershell or vbscript?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:10 PM

Answers

• Hello all,

I want to make a message box that covers the whole screen while my script runs (so that the user cant do anything). Basically it should just have the message that the script is running with no buttons or anything to push. When the script is done I want to then get rid of the box. Does anyone know how to do this in a script like powershell or vbscript?

Can't be done.

If you p[ut up a dailog the POwerSHell scritp will stop until you clse the WIndow.  Yuo cannot execute modeless forms and ther eis no way to force a form to stay on top in POw3ereShell. 

This can be done with a compiled program but it requires special consideration.

You can create an installer package that will stay on top but you cannot block all other WIndows in Windows except by creating a new desktop and switching to it.  This cannot be done in PowerSHell withotu special considerations.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by althurm Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hello all,

Can't be done.

If you p[ut up a dailog the POwerSHell scritp will stop until you clse the WIndow.  Yuo cannot execute modeless forms and ther eis no way to force a form to stay on top in POw3ereShell. 

You can create an installer package that will stay on top but you cannot block all other WIndows in Windows except by creating a new desktop and switching to it.  This cannot be done in PowerSHell withotu special considerations.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by althurm Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:14 PM
  • Hello all,

Can't be done.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OK.. Thats what I thought I was just wondering if anyone had done something like that in powershell. I think the easiest solution will be to use AutoIt. There is  a SplashTextOn and Off function that lets you create a splash screen (essentially a modeless dialog). So I can do:

SplashtextOn(args, args2, args3, etc...)

// Call a powershell or batch script to do some other code...

SplashOff()

Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:06 PM