none
how to find the correct DDL(direct download link) for java since after determining wheter OS is 32-bit or 64-bit

Question

• Hello All,

Iam having trouble finding direct download links to the latest java downloads. Anyone have any help as how to find them. Also, in vbscript what is the code for checking if the windows os is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks,

Thinker

:) 

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Latest Java downloads are at www.java.com (try the All Java downloads link). Don't give up too easily. :) (How is this question related to scripting?)

Regarding your VBScript question: The best way is probably to check the PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 environment variable. If that variable is defined, you're running in SysWOW64 (i.e., 32-bit on a 64-bit system). If the variable is not defined, then PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is the 64-bit processor type. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384274.aspx for details.

Bill

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

The answer is there in my previous response.

• If PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is AMD64, then you're running an x64 OS
    • If PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is x86 and PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 is AMD64, then you're running in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit OS
    • if PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is x86 and PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 is not defined, then you're running a 32-bit OS

(Of course, If you're using IA64, then substitute IA64 for AMD64 above)

HTH,

Bill

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Latest Java downloads are at www.java.com (try the All Java downloads link). Don't give up too easily. :) (How is this question related to scripting?)

Regarding your VBScript question: The best way is probably to check the PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 environment variable. If that variable is defined, you're running in SysWOW64 (i.e., 32-bit on a 64-bit system). If the variable is not defined, then PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is the 64-bit processor type. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384274.aspx for details.

Bill

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Sounds cool i need to check the processor type in vbscript because i will be downloading the correct version before getting vbscript to launch a silent install over the network at work. As far as the java goes i tryed at the java.com website (oracle has better links on their website) and their are no direct links i could find. Their is a referral url but vb.net or vbscript will not open it. Any help on this?

P.S. Heres the referral url i was talking about: http://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/VerifyItem-Start/jre-6u23-windows-i586.exe?BundledLineItemUUID=trKJ_hCvNxsAAAEulNUpGw_C&OrderID=m3SJ_hCvvhYAAAEue9UpGw_C&ProductID=GASJ_hCw0.MAAAEsNswcKluy&FileName=/jre-6u23-windows-i586.exe

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Never mind i found out the direct link to java is apparently a cab file that was designed for network adminstrators. Thanks for your help on the processor part can you give me more info on finding out the difference between a totally 32-bit system and a 64-bit system?

Once give me some more info i will mark as answer you might have to wait a few hours though.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

The answer is there in my previous response.

• If PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is AMD64, then you're running an x64 OS
    • If PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is x86 and PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 is AMD64, then you're running in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit OS
    • if PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE is x86 and PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 is not defined, then you're running a 32-bit OS

(Of course, If you're using IA64, then substitute IA64 for AMD64 above)

HTH,

Bill

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:06 PM