none
SchedLgU-Notepad

Question

• "User_Feed_Synchronization-{59735BF7-2705-4F57-BECE-86000217C164}.job" (msfeedssync.exe)Finished 1/13/2010 6:43:41 PM
     Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0)   A continuos page over and over in my scheduled tasks.  Im real green so you experts have a good laugh but what is it?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:45 AM

Answers

• I believe that the 'msfeeddsync.exe' is part of IE7 and later and exists as a hidden task.

HTH,

Bill
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Here is some additional info to what Bill said.

The msfeedssync.exe program is used for RSS feeds that allow you to subscribe to updates to various blogs (such as the Microsoft Scripting Guys http://blogs.technet.com/heyscriptingguy/ When you subscribe to a blog via RSS you are automatically notified when something new is posted with a short paragraph that gives you an idea as to what the update is about. This allows you to decide if you wish to go and read the blog that day. With an RSS feed, Internet Explorer 7 and above has a tab in History that will display updates. You can also subscribe to RSS feeds in Outlook (which is where I prefer to have my updates sent). The msfeedssync.exe is the program that goes out and polls the RSS feed for updates. The Task Scheduler service is used to schedule the polling for the updates. The fact that you are getting an exit code of 0 is a good thing ... it means the job completely successfully, i.e. there were 0 errors. Even if you are not subscribed to any RSS feeds, the scheduled task will run each day, and the msfeedssync.exe program will run and look for updates to RSS feeds. If you are not subscribed to any RSS feeds, the task is really simple, and easily completed -- but it still runs, therefore you may as well go ahead and subscribe to the RSS feed for the Hey Scripting Guy! blog. While you are at it, you should also consider subscribing to the RSS feed we have set up on the Script Repository so you will get a notification when new scripts are uploaded to the repository. The Script Repository is at http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/en-us/ and the RSS feed is an orange and white icon. Click the orange and white icon on the right hand side of the page above the latest contributions table.

Friday, January 29, 2010 12:15 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I believe that the 'msfeeddsync.exe' is part of IE7 and later and exists as a hidden task.

HTH,

Bill
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Here is some additional info to what Bill said.

The msfeedssync.exe program is used for RSS feeds that allow you to subscribe to updates to various blogs (such as the Microsoft Scripting Guys http://blogs.technet.com/heyscriptingguy/ When you subscribe to a blog via RSS you are automatically notified when something new is posted with a short paragraph that gives you an idea as to what the update is about. This allows you to decide if you wish to go and read the blog that day. With an RSS feed, Internet Explorer 7 and above has a tab in History that will display updates. You can also subscribe to RSS feeds in Outlook (which is where I prefer to have my updates sent). The msfeedssync.exe is the program that goes out and polls the RSS feed for updates. The Task Scheduler service is used to schedule the polling for the updates. The fact that you are getting an exit code of 0 is a good thing ... it means the job completely successfully, i.e. there were 0 errors. Even if you are not subscribed to any RSS feeds, the scheduled task will run each day, and the msfeedssync.exe program will run and look for updates to RSS feeds. If you are not subscribed to any RSS feeds, the task is really simple, and easily completed -- but it still runs, therefore you may as well go ahead and subscribe to the RSS feed for the Hey Scripting Guy! blog. While you are at it, you should also consider subscribing to the RSS feed we have set up on the Script Repository so you will get a notification when new scripts are uploaded to the repository. The Script Repository is at http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/en-us/ and the RSS feed is an orange and white icon. Click the orange and white icon on the right hand side of the page above the latest contributions table.

Friday, January 29, 2010 12:15 AM
    Owner