none
New to Windows Scripting

Question

• I am new to Windows Scripting.  What is the difference between WScript, Windows Scripting, CScript, and PowerShell?  Decades ago I used DOS batch files for moving files around and checking folders for specific filetypes, etc.   But I wanted to learn Scripting and all it has to offer.  If there is a forum that would have some good examples (tutorials maybe) of windows scripting or Powershell, I would be glad to take a look at those (and possibly get many of my questions answered before posting.

RLN

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:21 PM

Answers

• WScript is scripts (VBScript) that run and interact with typical Windows GUI elements.

CScript is scripts (VBScript) that run and interact with a command box (no GUI but the familiar "DOS" command box).

A third scripting type (HTA) uses the VBScript in conjunction with a specially crafted "browser" (mshta.exe) that allows interaction with HTML elements via VBScript.  I write LOTS of HTAs. 

PowerShell is the new face of Windows scripting offering much more power in a much more compact space, you can do in a line or two what might take 10-15 lines or more of VBScript. 

Perhaps the first place to land: 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176992.aspx

There are a myriad of sources out there, and once you've digested a comfortable amount of the info at the link above, ask, and I'll drop some more for you.

DAS

• Edited by Win7Tester Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:40 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by RLN60 Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Also, at the top of the "The Scripting Guys's Forum" main page, click the link to "Learn" for more sources.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:47 PM

All replies

• WScript is scripts (VBScript) that run and interact with typical Windows GUI elements.

CScript is scripts (VBScript) that run and interact with a command box (no GUI but the familiar "DOS" command box).

A third scripting type (HTA) uses the VBScript in conjunction with a specially crafted "browser" (mshta.exe) that allows interaction with HTML elements via VBScript.  I write LOTS of HTAs. 

PowerShell is the new face of Windows scripting offering much more power in a much more compact space, you can do in a line or two what might take 10-15 lines or more of VBScript. 

Perhaps the first place to land: 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176992.aspx

There are a myriad of sources out there, and once you've digested a comfortable amount of the info at the link above, ask, and I'll drop some more for you.

DAS

• Edited by Win7Tester Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:40 PM typo
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Also, at the top of the "The Scripting Guys's Forum" main page, click the link to "Learn" for more sources.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:47 PM
  • This was helpful, Richard.   I was able to get started writing scripts with these pages.

Thank you.

RLN

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:14 PM