Win 7, where is the hyper terminal application?

Question

• Our department uses Hyper Terminal Serial Port (Com-1) to extract data from fire alarm systems and baud rates are all different. How do we do this in Windows 7?
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 3:06 PM

Answers

• Beginning with Windows Vista, Hyperterminal is no longer available. See this article for details: http://bit.ly/dNsCN The company that made HyperTerminal is still around, and they offer a version for Windows Vista ... I would imagine they will also offer a version for Windows 7 ... Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• Beginning with Windows Vista, Hyperterminal is no longer available. See this article for details: http://bit.ly/dNsCN The company that made HyperTerminal is still around, and they offer a version for Windows Vista ... I would imagine they will also offer a version for Windows 7 ... Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Also, you can just copy it from XP (I think there is a DLL as well) and it works perfectly ok on Windows 7, we did this on a laptop at work running W7 that had to use hyperterm to talk to network devices. We were astonished that Microsoft had removed it and not supplied a replacement...
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Just get puttytel.

I use this configure all cisco routers and switches we have

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:27 PM
  • DEAR

in windows7 by defalt  hyperterminal is not there ,but u can create

in win7,only option - open control pannel ,Open Phone and Modem Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Phone and Modem Options.

or u can create hyperterminal in win 7

open any Xp system copy 4 follwing  files

1)-C:\Program Files\Windows NT\HYPERTRM.EXE
    2-C:\Windows\Help\HYPERTRM.CHM
    3-C:\Windows\Help\HYPERTRM.HLP
    4-C:\Windows\System32\hypertrm.dll

then opwn win7 system create a folder name of  "HyperTerminal" under programe files then paste 4 files

create shotcut -"C:\Program Files\HyperTerminal\HYPERTRM.EXE"

open short cut hyperminial is redy

regards

manafali

Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Thank you Manafali

Your explanation was very helpfull.

I've got my hyperterminal back in windows 7

Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Dear Manaf Ali.

Thanks Dear your support.

Regards,

Shahzad Alam

Thursday, January 06, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Hi everyone!

I tried this in Windows 7 professional, but it does not work correctly.

Every time I run Hyperterminal it starts from the beginning and I have to create a new session and enter the configuration information. If I save a session and then double-click the ht file, an error appears saying it cannot read the session file.

In XP I can save a session to the desktop and simply click it to open the terminal and com port.

Is there a way to do this on Windows 7?

Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Hi everyone!

Every time I run Hyperterminal it starts from the beginning and I have to create a new session and enter the configuration information. If I save a session and then double-click the ht file, an error appears saying it cannot read the session file.

In XP I can save a session to the desktop and simply click it to open the terminal and com port.

No, there is not and Microsoft does not give a flying frog about your problems.

MS is not in this business to give you solutions - they are here to squeeze as much money out of you as they can while giving you less and less; witness this little utility that would cost next to nothing to include but they rather dropped it.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

Third-party code is often a headache for MS to maintain:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/02/25/7885570.aspx

(Posting inflammatory remarks is not helpful for anyone.)

HTH,

Bill

Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

Third-party code is often a headache for MS to maintain:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/02/25/7885570.aspx

(Posting inflammatory remarks is not helpful for anyone.)

HTH,

Bill

(...but posting the truth is...)
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Hi,

I understand you might not like the answer, but it's the answer nonetheless. Please read Raymond Chen's blog post:

When somebody gives you a gift of code, it's more often than not a burden in disguise

Keep in mind Microsoft did not write the HyperTerminal program, and they included it in Windows as a courtesy. The above blog post explains some of the (understandable) reasons why they don't want to continue to maintain it as a part of the OS.

Also, at the bottom of this Microsoft page:

What happened to HyperTerminal?

It says:

"If you previously used HyperTerminal to control serial devices, you can usually find a downloadable version of HyperTerminal on the Internet that is free for personal use."

So, if you're really unhappy, you can search for it and download it for yourself. (Suggested search terms: free hyperterminal, free windows telnet client, etc.)

HTH,

Bill

Monday, April 25, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Hi everyone!

Well, if you have Professional then I think might be better of using the XP mode through MS Virtual PC and the Hyperterm version which comes with it. Just started to experiment with this because of this thread and it seems to work decently well.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Hi You can try the below link as an alternative :

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-hyperterminal/

Note : The above link contains both Win 7 and 3rd Party options.

Regards,

Pradeep R

Monday, May 09, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Hi everyone!

I was searching for the solution of this similar problem, then I found this entry.

At the moment the way I do the work is ... after double-clicking the .ht icon and error msg appears ... I just click ok and then the blank session starts.

Then go to File --> Open and select that .ht file again ... it will bring up the saved connection. This way may not be the best, but at least I dont have to re-enter configuration information every time.

Hope this helps !!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Thanks for that, Manafali. Much Appreciated.

I did a search on XP, C: partition for HYPERTRM and all the file you mentioned showed up.

The VipX

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:59 PM
  • By the xp system  do you mean the xps file in windows 7? Please explain, thank you.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:55 PM
  • thanks alot manafali.:)
    in win 7 64-bit creat folder in Programe files(x86).
    this is working awesome..

Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Thanks Manafali, i was able to copy the files to my external drive utilizing XP mode as I didnt have a working XP machine handy and it is working wonderfully. To those of you looking for a solution to this I highly recommend these steps or if you do not have a XP machine or no someone who does or you are unable to figure out how to use XP mode or your flavor of Win7 doesnt offer it then save yourself the headache and just download a copy of HyperTerminal or similar App and that should work for you.

Hats off to ya Manafali

Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Thanks Manafali. You instructions have been precise, and working!
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Download Putty... works just fine
    Friday, October 21, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Too bad for putty, no file transfer possible.... :(
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Too bad for putty, no file transfer possible.... :(

Sorry but you're wrong. There's more besides PuTTY itself (the SSH console client). You also have PSCP (PuTTY Secure Copy) and PSFTP (you get the idea ;-) ).  These two support full file transfers.

You can download these at the same place where you can grab PuTTY. See this link.

Hope this helps!

With kind regards, Peter
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

if you don't need the help files, you really only need hypertrm.exe and hypertrm.dll, Additionally, Putty works well too

http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2011/11/get-hyperterminal-in-windows-7-and.html

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Thanks a lot.

It is working fine.

Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:24 PM
  • But it's is true. Microsoft is controlling the USB drivers like IBM tried on the microchannel. IBM failed and we can only hope Microsoft will also so new software comes to our store shelves.

If it's not Microsoft or over price software for home consumers it's gone!

No software is available for those they locked out of there operating system.

I found these postings because I used terminals and a single computer for years until Vista and now Windows 7. I will probably have to go to Linux because Microsoft terminated there software for it and did not replace it or allow anyone else to offer it.

Dell user forced to use individul computers paying for individual license fees instead of terminals with a central database. It's all about the money that Bill Gates could never spend in several lifetimes.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:32 PM