none
Any tools to edit dll file?

Question

• Does anyone know any tools to edit dll file?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:50 AM

Answers

• Ah, so the answer is that you're not looking to edit a DLL file at all but rather a text file of some sort.

A DLL is a binary and not a text file. DLL means 'dynamically linked library' and is executable program code (like an EXE file).

This illustrates the value of asking a clear question.

Bill

Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:58 PM

All replies

This is not a scripting question.

You can edit a DLL with any binary editor.  Use your search engine to find binary editors.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:58 AM
  • Here is the current one from Microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cb4x6esf(v=vs.90).aspx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Referring to following link, I cannot find any tool to edit following instruction.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Edit c:\php\php.ini, search for ...

http://eareview.net/tick-data/dukascopy-php-scripts

Friday, January 25, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Yes you can try that but I would post in a different forum due to this forum being for scriping and not for people asking unrelated questions.

Post back when you have a scripting question.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, January 25, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Depends on what you are trying to do.

Two points: first, editing a DLL is non trivial. You need to know machine code (or for .NET DLL's IL) and know how the instruction set works. I can't help but thinking that if you had the skills to do this, this question would not be being asked. Secondly, what are you trying to achieve? Generally, editing a DLL is done by highly skilled people (and I long ago lost those skills!) in order to fix some problem.

A much better way, of course is to just change the source code, and re-compile. But again, the question is what exactly do you want to achieve.

To learn more about debugging and debugging tools that you'd need, I'd start from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/hardware/ff539099%28v=vs.85%29.aspx.

One final point, this forum is not the best place for this question. If you respond as to what you are wanting to achieve, hopefully we can point you to the right place.

Thomas Lee <DoctorDNS@Gmail.Com>

Friday, January 25, 2013 2:56 PM
  • What does "edit dll file" mean?

Why are you asking about it in a scripting forum?

Bill

Friday, January 25, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Does anyone have any suggestions on any appropriated forum I should ask this questions? [Correct for better statement]

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

• Edited by oem7110 Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:13 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 9:52 PM
  • I appreciate that English must not be your first language, but I have no idea what to tell you, because your question makes no sense.

Bill

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:58 PM

As others have said, your question is unclear. If you want to use a script to modify a text string inside a .dll file then there is a way to do it with VBScript. You need to post further details if this is what you want. Whether the .dll file will still work is uncertain.
    Friday, January 25, 2013 10:14 PM

As others have said, your question is unclear. If you want to use a script to modify a text string inside a .dll file then there is a way to do it with VBScript. You need to post further details if this is what you want. Whether the .dll file will still work is uncertain.

Nearly all Windows DLL files are signed and checksummed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:25 PM
  • Nearly all Windows DLL files are signed and checksummed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly!
    Friday, January 25, 2013 10:36 PM
  • I contact with the author for editing the file based on his suggestions, and php.ini can be opened using Notepad, but when I open it, which show strange characters.  I give up this questions.

Thanks everyone very much for suggestions

Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:27 AM
  • This looks like a .gif file, not an .ini file. You should open it with Windows Photo Viewer or a similar application.
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:49 AM
  • I get it now, I get the wrong file and I can edit the file with Notepad.

• Edited by oem7110 Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:13 AM
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:13 AM
  • I get it now, I get the wrong file and I can edit the file with Notepad.

Great to know. I am happy that, after all of these years of buying and learning how to use expensive compilers and tools,l we should have been using notepad all along.

oem7110-you are a genius.  I am going to nominate you for the Nobel prize.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Ah, so the answer is that you're not looking to edit a DLL file at all but rather a text file of some sort.

A DLL is a binary and not a text file. DLL means 'dynamically linked library' and is executable program code (like an EXE file).

This illustrates the value of asking a clear question.

Bill

Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:58 PM
  • I am still waiting for script's author to confirm his procedure on running PHP, based on his previous reply, I can edit php.ini with Notepad, but I am not able to run PHP script on cmd, and wonder whether I need to install MySQL server before running it, the more questions I ask with the author, the more I know the question is not clear to be posted in this forum at the first place, maybe the author's instruction is not working, but I still wait for his reply at this moment.

I am very appreciated  any help from your guys, and I will workout the rest of issues with the author.

Thanks everyone very much for suggestions :>

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:28 AM