none
'Learn Python the Hard Way' book help - PowerShell

Question

• There's a book out called 'Learn Python the Hard Way' and it wants to run the exercises in PowerShell, which no one apparently knows much about,  I just need to do a couple of simple functions, I just don't know how to do them and I don't see how online.  Here's an excerpt : "

8. You should be back at a prompt similar to what you had before you typed python. If not find out why.

9. Learn how to make a directory in the Terminal. Search online for help.

10. Learn how to change into a directory in the Terminal. Again search online.

11. Use your editor to create a file in this directory. Make the file, “Save” or “Save As...”, and pick this directory.

12. Go back to Terminal using just the keyboard to switch windows. Look it up if you can’t figure it out.

13. Back in Terminal, see if you can list the directory to see your newly created file. Search online for how to list a directory. " 

I made  a directory in PowerShell but haven't got past that.  Any help?

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:25 PM

Answers

• 8. That depends on how you invoked the python command. If you invoked python from a PowerShell prompt, then the "I want to exit python" command (exit? quit? I don't know) will return you to the PowerShell prompt.

9. md or mkdir

10. cd or set-location

11. notepad.exe

12. Alt+Tab

13. dir

Bill

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:44 PM

All replies

• 8. That depends on how you invoked the python command. If you invoked python from a PowerShell prompt, then the "I want to exit python" command (exit? quit? I don't know) will return you to the PowerShell prompt.

9. md or mkdir

10. cd or set-location

11. notepad.exe

12. Alt+Tab

13. dir

Bill

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:44 PM
  • I'm sorry you weren't able to get a knowledge level-appropriate response to your question.

The answer you were looking for:

Use the command "cd" (change directory). At the command line type 'cd <directory name>'

So if the name of your file is is called "testdirectory" you would type 'cd testdirectory'

And it's that simple.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:07 AM