none
"Client for Microsoft Networks"

Question

• In a roundabout way I think I have landed in the best place for the answer Im after, but being sent elsewhere may be just as helpful!

Brief Background:
    Server 2008 r2, Win7 network.
    Started to test a deployment of Win7x64 which has an issue with installing network printers. They cannot be installed until the Client for Microsoft Networks is uninstalled and then installed onto the nic.

This problem comes everytime the o/s is installed, and the solution is around on various boards in technet, but what my problem is is that I have 80 machines to image and dont really want to do this the hard way!

So eventually my question is:
    Is there a way to uninstall then install the "client for microsoft networks" on the network adapter as a script? We are deploying using MDT so either a dos (I have looked at netsh with no luck) or vbs would be best but I can work any script that does this succesfully into my deployment.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sam

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:19 PM

Answers

• Its a  Ricoh Afico 2650 off the top of my head.

Anyway I have a fix for doing this which I worked out in combination with a genius!

netcfg /u ms_msclient
    shutdown -r
    netcfg /c c /i ms_msclient
    shutdown -r

Added as individiul commands in the task sequence in MDT these remove the "Client for Microsft Networks" reboot and put it back again.

Printers install, problem solved!

Thanks for your help.

For info:
    http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181533-network-printer-error-0x00000709.html
    The thread I found the original fix on, last post

• Marked as answer by british_gov Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:17 PM

All replies

• The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation service.

I suggest you disable/stop the workstation service and see if you can install your printer then. This is far less trouble than uninstalling the Client for Microsoft Networks. It's not straight forward to go back on.

Stopping this service can be part of your autounattend.xml.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Stopped the workstation service, printer wouldnt add, started it back up (and the dependant ones it stopped) and still will not add.

Unfortunatly removing then adding the Client for Microsoft Networks is the only fix I know.

Maybe Im going about this the wrong way and should be trying to find a different solution to the printer problem? Problem is it took me about a week to find the solution I have got!

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:12 AM
  • What is this printer you're trying to install. I've never heard anything like this.

What's the make/model? I'll download the driver and try it myself.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Its a  Ricoh Afico 2650 off the top of my head.

Anyway I have a fix for doing this which I worked out in combination with a genius!

netcfg /u ms_msclient
    shutdown -r
    netcfg /c c /i ms_msclient
    shutdown -r

Added as individiul commands in the task sequence in MDT these remove the "Client for Microsft Networks" reboot and put it back again.

Printers install, problem solved!

Thanks for your help.

For info:
    http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181533-network-printer-error-0x00000709.html
    The thread I found the original fix on, last post

• Marked as answer by british_gov Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:17 PM