none
Remote Printers not displayed in Devices and Printers for Remote Desktop user

Question

• I am running a Windows 2008 R2 terminal server. On logon a batch file successfully authenticates the user to a print server (also Win2008R2) in another domain, where the user has a connection to several printers.

However, when I open Devices and Printers the remote printers are not displayed; local printers are all there. If I press F5 to refresh, the remote printers then appear in the list, but this is confusing to the users.

I would like to have all of the remote connected printers displayed whenever the user opens up Devices and Printers, without having to refresh.

Under  net use  command the connection to the print server is OK and drivers are OK. In the Search field I can connect to the print server and browse a list of printers and add connections. On the print server I have turned on Function Discovery Resource Publication and SSDP Discovery services and Network Discovery. Netbios is disabled on both domains (I tried enabling but it made no difference). In group policy the print server is designated as part of the intranet zone for minimum security.

Any ideas appreciated. A batch file script that would refresh Devices and Printers (without opening the window) would probably fix this.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• Use a GOP to assign the printers and this won't happen.  'Net use' is pretty much obsolete under WS2008 and later and has numerous little 'gotchas'.  GPO printer asignments work seamlessly and are easier to manage.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:42 PM

All replies

• Use a GOP to assign the printers and this won't happen.  'Net use' is pretty much obsolete under WS2008 and later and has numerous little 'gotchas'.  GPO printer asignments work seamlessly and are easier to manage.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:42 PM
  • As there has been no activity in this thread for a few days, we assume the issue is resolved. We will mark it as "answered" to assist others in similar situations. If you disagree, please reply with further information. You can unmark the answer if you wish. If a reply helped answer your question, please mark it as the answer.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, July 09, 2012 3:01 PM