none
Could not create object named "Scripting.FileSystemObject" Code 8002801D Symantec FIPSMode.vbs

Question

• Hello,

Having an issue during a symantec sepm 12. 1 install. I am getting a scripting error right at the end of the install. Not sure if I am posting in the right section but I apologize if I am not. I have already dealt with Symantec and they tell me this is a windows issue when the WSH is not allowing the WBS to create a specific object. Symantec also told me to just do a full wipe of the server and start from scratch.... I can't even afford to have this server down for 15 mins.. A rebuild just is out of the questions. I have searched all over the internet and can't seem to find any help or any threads that had useful information. So onto the error! :)see attached picture.

About my server:

This server is the DC the one and ONLY DC

Server 2008 Standard Edition with SP2

I am thinking this is something with permissions but I don't really know where to start. I have tried registering all the dll's assciated with the WSH and have been unsuccessful at fixing this issue. Thank you.

I have checked the Event Viewer during this error and nothing shows up.
    • Edited by Sevensins Friday, May 11, 2012 11:33 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 11:30 PM

Answers

• I would also suggest the following:

Run the following program (Start->Run):

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe

Then run the fsotest.vbs script Richard posted above, and see if it causes an error.

Bill

• Proposed as answer by jrv Monday, May 14, 2012 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sevensins Monday, May 14, 2012 8:56 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 2:39 PM
  • The Scripting.FileSystemObject is a standard object that everyone has permissions for. However, it is used to access local files. It cannot be used from IE (by default), for example, for this reason.

I haven't worked with Symantec software in a few years, but when I did it disabled VBScript programs by default. Whenever I upgraded the software my scripts stopped working until I configured the software to allow VBScript programs.

I suspect that Symantec is blocking. You can test by attempting to run the following script on the computer. If this works, you can bind to and use the FileSystemObject:

Option Explicit

Dim objFSO

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Wscript.Echo "FullName: " & Wscript.FullName _
        & vbCrLf & "Name: " & Wscript.Name _
        & vbCrLf & "Path: " & Wscript.Path _
        & vbCrLf & "ScriptFullName: " & Wscript.ScriptFullName _
        & vbCrLf & "ScriptName: " & Wscript.ScriptName _
        & vbCrLf & "Version: " & Wscript.Version _
        & vbCrLf & "GetAbsolutePathName: " & objFSO.GetAbsolutePathName(".")

-----

This is just an example, that documents information about the VBScript program itself and the version of VBScript. Save this code in a file with extension *.vbs, for example FSOTest.vbs. Then run it at a command prompt using the cscript host program. For example, use the following command at a command prompt:

cscript FSOTest.vbs

This assumes you are in the folder where the file FSOTest.vbs is saved. Otherwise, you must specify the full path to the *.vbs file. If this works without error, then you know the FileSystemObject is fine and there are no permission problems. If an error is raised, then perhaps Windows Script Host is corrupt on the computer.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:14 AM

All replies

• The Scripting.FileSystemObject is a standard object that everyone has permissions for. However, it is used to access local files. It cannot be used from IE (by default), for example, for this reason.

I haven't worked with Symantec software in a few years, but when I did it disabled VBScript programs by default. Whenever I upgraded the software my scripts stopped working until I configured the software to allow VBScript programs.

I suspect that Symantec is blocking. You can test by attempting to run the following script on the computer. If this works, you can bind to and use the FileSystemObject:

Option Explicit

Dim objFSO

Wscript.Echo "FullName: " & Wscript.FullName _
        & vbCrLf & "Name: " & Wscript.Name _
        & vbCrLf & "Path: " & Wscript.Path _
        & vbCrLf & "ScriptFullName: " & Wscript.ScriptFullName _
        & vbCrLf & "ScriptName: " & Wscript.ScriptName _
        & vbCrLf & "Version: " & Wscript.Version _
        & vbCrLf & "GetAbsolutePathName: " & objFSO.GetAbsolutePathName(".")

-----

This is just an example, that documents information about the VBScript program itself and the version of VBScript. Save this code in a file with extension *.vbs, for example FSOTest.vbs. Then run it at a command prompt using the cscript host program. For example, use the following command at a command prompt:

cscript FSOTest.vbs

This assumes you are in the folder where the file FSOTest.vbs is saved. Otherwise, you must specify the full path to the *.vbs file. If this works without error, then you know the FileSystemObject is fine and there are no permission problems. If an error is raised, then perhaps Windows Script Host is corrupt on the computer.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:14 AM
  • Richard,

Thank you so much for the reply :). I ran the script and it returned no errors at least that I can see. Attached is the image of the result.

Thank you so much for the help on this, I have spent about a week trying to figure this out and Symantec has been no help. What is your recommended next step?

Knowledge is power.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:09 PM
  • We know now that you have no problem creating (and using) "Scripting.FileSystemObject" (which was implied by the error you reported). No need to register anything. No need to wipe the server.

The message you reported means that the following statement on line 655 of FIPSMode.vbs raised the error:

The variable objFSO could be named something else, but the rest of the statement must the same as line 5 (the third statement) of the script I suggested. You can get the same error yourself by running the script I suggested, but mis-spelling "Scripting.FileSystemObject".

I frankly don't know where to go from here.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Corrupted script file can cause this.

Get a new copy from the installation CD. 

It is also possible that there are dsik issue.  Run ChkDsk to be sure.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:07 PM

Then run the fsotest.vbs script Richard posted above, and see if it causes an error.

Bill

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:39 PM

Bill

AbqBill,

Ok so I ran the script on the syswow cmd.exe and got a null. See attached image below.

@ JRV I have downloaded and extracted a fresh install from symantec and I get the same result as well as running a chkdsk! No errors.

How do I register the cscript Library in the syswow64.

Thank you!

Knowledge is power.

Monday, May 14, 2012 5:49 PM
  • From teh same prompt type the following:

regsvr32 scrobj

YOu should see it successfully regiser teh library.  If not then you may have more corruption.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:15 PM
  • From teh same prompt type the following:

regsvr32 scrobj

YOu should see it successfully regiser teh library.  If not then you may have more corruption.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok I ran that command at the syswow64 command prompt regsvr32 scrobj. It Registered however I still get the error when I run the above script at the syswow64 command prompt.

Thank you

Knowledge is power.

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Success!

Got it!!! Ran all these command in article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140

You are running a 64-bit version of the Windows operating system, and you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section while you are using the 32-bit scripting components
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2. Type %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\vbscript.dll, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\jscript.dll, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\dispex.dll, and then press ENTER.
    5. Type %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\scrobj.dll, and then press ENTER.
    6. Type %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\scrrun.dll, and then press ENTER.
    7. Type %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\wshext.dll, and then press ENTER.
    8. Type %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\wshom.ocx, and then press ENTER.

I will try the install sepm 12.1 install again and report back! 

Knowledge is power.

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Great! Yes - I was looking for that article but you found it first.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Good -- glad to hear we narrowed it down.

Bill

Monday, May 14, 2012 7:03 PM
  • That did it Gents! Install was successful! If I could I would buy you all a beer. Thank you so much, going to call Symantec and let them know that a full system rebuild was not the correct answer to my issue! How do I mark this as answered sense you all helped? The 64Bit cmd.exe was the answer.

Knowledge is power.

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:13 PM
  • That did it Gents! Install was successful! If I could I would buy you all a beer. Thank you so much, going to call Symantec and let them know that a full system rebuild was not the correct answer to my issue! How do I mark this as answered sense you all helped? The 64Bit cmd.exe was the answer.

Knowledge is power.

Richard and Bill actually provided the answer.  I jsut backed them upi when you were waiting for next step.  I believe it tokk both of their answers to get you on the right path.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Perfect thank you all!

Knowledge is power.

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:57 PM