none
Run Command in Windows 7 Start Menu

Question

• HI All,

How to Enable Run Command in Windows 7 Start Menu using VBScript?

Thanks

Divakar

Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:28 AM

Answers

• I think you guys are missing the point:  By default, a clean install of Windows 7 does not include the "Run" option on the Start Menu.

You can put it there by customizing the Start Menu, and I think this is what the OP wants to automate.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Hi Bigteddy,

You're correct; I guess I didn't notice that before. (You can still get to that dialog by pressing Win+R of course.) My point is that removing access to it (whether it appears on the Start menu or not) is basically useless because removing it does absolutely nothing to increase security.

Bill

Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:03 PM

All replies

• The run command is usually disabled by GroupPolicy. In this case it cannot be enabled from script.

In the rare instrance that it is disabled by accident then here are the instructions on how to fix this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-run-command-on-windows-vista-start-menu/

This issue comes up very frequently because we admins tend to disable the 'Run ' item, for security and simplicity reasons in Group Policy.

In recent years I have been promoting the idea that this should not be done,  Reversing this policy cannot be done in a script.

Sorry.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:41 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:20 AM
  • My own opinion is that policies such as "Disable the Run command," and "Disable the command prompt" (etc.) are now useless. The reason is that policies are not security boundaries. The Run command and command prompt (etc.) do not allow the users to do anything that bypass security. There are legacy reasons for these settings, of course (they made a little sense on Windows 9x, which had no security, and thus these settings might have prevented users from accidentally doing things they shouldn't), but I don't see any purpose for them any more.

Bill

Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:55 PM
  • My own opinion is that policies such as "Disable the Run command," and "Disable the command prompt" (etc.) are now useless. The reason is that policies are not security boundaries. The Run command and command prompt (etc.) do not allow the users to do anything that bypass security. There are legacy reasons for these settings, of course (they made a little sense on Windows 9x, which had no security, and thus these settings might have prevented users from accidentally doing things they shouldn't), but I don't see any purpose for them any more.

Bill

Tell that to some IT manager.  They generally won't listen.  I alos hav eissues with older IT managers refusing to use RAID 5 because 'it is too unreliable'.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:42 PM
  • I think you guys are missing the point:  By default, a clean install of Windows 7 does not include the "Run" option on the Start Menu.

You can put it there by customizing the Start Menu, and I think this is what the OP wants to automate.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Hi Bigteddy,

You're correct; I guess I didn't notice that before. (You can still get to that dialog by pressing Win+R of course.) My point is that removing access to it (whether it appears on the Start menu or not) is basically useless because removing it does absolutely nothing to increase security.

Bill

Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:03 PM
  • Change the following registry key value from 0 to 1:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced:Start_ShowRun=1

• Proposed as answer by TimDawgg Monday, December 17, 2012 3:36 AM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:02 AM