none
Script to force Windows Search to re-index without clearing existing index

שאלה

• Is there a script that can force Windows Search to reindex its directories? I know how do this from the Windows Search advanced options, but that way clears the index before re-indexing. Ideally, it would be nice to have the script perform either an incremental reindex, or at least not clear the existing index, until the new index it built? For reference, I'm using WinXP SP3 and Windows Search 4.0 or Windows Desktop Search 3.0.1.

שבת 05 מאי 2012 14:56

תשובות

• Is there a script that can force Windows Search to reindex its directories? I know how do this from the Windows Search advanced options, but that way clears the index before re-indexing. Ideally, it would be nice to have the script perform either an incremental reindex, or at least not clear the existing index, until the new index it built? For reference, I'm using WinXP SP3 and Windows Search 4.0 or Windows Desktop Search 3.0.1.

If you think real hard about what you are aasking you will discover that your request does not make much sense,  An ibdex is an index.  Reindexing is just that, it REplaces the index.

There is no way in Windows to do this.  Windows will refresh the index as needed.  There is no need for you to reindex all of the time.

IF you need more information you should try posting in the OS forum for the OS you ae using or in the Windows Search forum.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/threads

Here are the instructions for scripting Desktop search:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404224.aspx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

שבת 05 מאי 2012 16:26

כל התגובות

If you think real hard about what you are aasking you will discover that your request does not make much sense,  An ibdex is an index.  Reindexing is just that, it REplaces the index.

There is no way in Windows to do this.  Windows will refresh the index as needed.  There is no need for you to reindex all of the time.

IF you need more information you should try posting in the OS forum for the OS you ae using or in the Windows Search forum.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/threads

Here are the instructions for scripting Desktop search:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404224.aspx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

שבת 05 מאי 2012 16:26
  • Administrators Guide 4.0

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772446(v=ws.10).aspx

This is the fullrange of admin commands:
        L"/enumerate_roots",
        L"/enumerate_rules",
        L"/add_root <new root path>",
        L"/remove_root <root path to remove>",
        L"/add_rule <rule URL> /[DEFAULT|USER] /[INCLUDE|EXCLUDE]",
        L"/remove_rule <rule URL> /[DEFAULT|USER]",
        L"/revert",
        L"/reset",
        L"/reindex",
        L"/help or /? "

I copied this diectly from the SDK samples.  The SDK shows that there is no scripting inerface to the search engine.  The engine is only available in compiled languages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• נערך על-ידי jrv שבת 05 מאי 2012 16:38
    שבת 05 מאי 2012 16:32
  • OK, then perhaps there's a script that can simply trigger Windows Search to reindex, deleting the exiting index. That would be helpful, so I could schedule it to do so at specific times. By the way, Windows Search does not automatically do this for UNC locations on a NAS server, and that's why it would be helpful to have a script to trigger it.

PR

שבת 05 מאי 2012 16:38
  • OK, then perhaps there's a script that can simply trigger Windows Search to reindex, deleting the exiting index. That would be helpful, so I could schedule it to do so at specific times. By the way, Windows Search does not automatically do this for UNC locations on a NAS server, and that's why it would be helpful to have a script to trigger it.

PR

Crawl Scope Command Line

Reindex Urls

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

שבת 05 מאי 2012 16:43
  • It's interesting that when WinXP SP3 reboots, and I check the Windows Search Indexing Status, it immediately goes through and refreshes the index, without clearing the index. Here is a screen shot of the 22,597 items that are indexed, showing the re-scanning process below. During the re-scan, all searches give complete results, so the index is active and not cleared:

Windows Search Re-Indexing

And toward the end of the re-scan, it looks like this:
    Windows Search Re-Indexing End

Any thought on how to force this to occur without rebooting?

eQuilter

יום חמישי 17 מאי 2012 17:28
  • This happens constantly as log as the user is logged in.

Ther is no incremental index.  The indexer is always indexing.  You do not need to manage this and it cannot be done if the user is not logged on.

Did you download the SDK and admin manual that I posted?

Crawl Scope Command Line

Reindex Urls

The link contains a complete code example of reindexing an exisiting Url.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• נערך על-ידי jrv יום חמישי 17 מאי 2012 17:35
    יום חמישי 17 מאי 2012 17:34
  • Hi,

This question is already marked answered. In addition, your question might be better asked in a more appropriate forum, such as Windows Desktop Search Help.

Bill

יום חמישי 17 מאי 2012 17:35
  • Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this does not happen automatically while logged in for Network Drives, and it only occurs upon reboot. I did download the files, however I don't have the experience to work with them.

The other interesting problem is that when anyone on the network (including me) opens any of these files in Excel, these files are suddenly not found by searching the index. And even more strange is that if the file is closed again within about 30 seconds, the file remains out of the index and cannot be found by searching the index. However, if the file is opened in Excel, left opened for about a minute, and then closed, then the file can successfully be found by searching the index. I realize this secondary issue is not within the scope of this forum, but I thought the background information might be helpful.

eQuilter

יום חמישי 17 מאי 2012 17:48
  • Thanks Bill, I have tried posting there, however I have never received any replies on the Windows Desktop Search Help forum.....

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/af1c4e1f-74d7-4ed6-b274-147af859e8df

eQuilter

יום חמישי 17 מאי 2012 17:51
  • Hi,

1. As previously noted, this is not the correct forum for this discussion.
    2. Please remember that these are peer-to-peer forums with no service-level agreement. If you need a guaranteed answer, you will need to engage a paid technical support option.

Thanks,

Bill

יום חמישי 17 מאי 2012 18:14
  • Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this does not happen automatically while logged in for Network Drives, and it only occurs upon reboot. I did download the files, however I don't have the experience to work with them.

The other interesting problem is that when anyone on the network (including me) opens any of these files in Excel, these files are suddenly not found by searching the index. And even more strange is that if the file is closed again within about 30 seconds, the file remains out of the index and cannot be found by searching the index. However, if the file is opened in Excel, left opened for about a minute, and then closed, then the file can successfully be found by searching the index. I realize this secondary issue is not within the scope of this forum, but I thought the background information might be helpful.

eQuilter

The admin manual pretty much cover all of teh issues you need to know or can affect.  The code is useful if you need to create a custom control to allow script to reindex a specific resource.  There is not access to teh scritp indexer from script as far as I can tell.

Posting in the Desktop Search Forum (Bill's suggestion) is the best you are going to do short of opening a support incident with Microsoft.

Sorry.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

יום חמישי 17 מאי 2012 18:17