none
MBSA CAB Update for MS11-100

Question

• Does anyone know if the .cab files used for running MBSA offline will be update to include MS11-100?

Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:18 PM

Answers

• Sorry that this isn't covered in the MSRC bulletin. Usually the CAB file is released at 10:00 am Pacific Time - the exact same time as the updates, the bulletins and all KB articles.

But this release is an exception.

For enterprises that require the Microsoft WSUSSCN2.CAB file, it was released late,but is now available (as of December 31, 2011 at 11 am Pacific time).

It was previously stated that this Out-Of-Band (OOB) bulletin was pushed with such urgency, it would take a couple more business days until the CAB file can be revised, tested and released to include today's MS11-100 release. That has now completed and the CAB file is live.

I hope that helps...

Doug Neal - Microsoft Update and MBSA
    • Marked as answer by Doug NealMicrosoft employee Friday, December 30, 2011 6:40 AM
    • Edited by Doug NealMicrosoft employee Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:05 PM Revised to change the original January 3, 2012 release date for the WSUSSCN2.CAB file to December 31, 2011 at 11am Pacific time.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 6:40 AM

All replies

• "sashimi1025" wrote in message news:30b59e19-2f3a-4ecf-9b26-f12eac6e6b72...

Does anyone know if the .cab files used for running MBSA offline will be update to include MS11-100?

See the detection and deployment section.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Sorry that this isn't covered in the MSRC bulletin. Usually the CAB file is released at 10:00 am Pacific Time - the exact same time as the updates, the bulletins and all KB articles.

For enterprises that require the Microsoft WSUSSCN2.CAB file, it was released late,but is now available (as of December 31, 2011 at 11 am Pacific time).

It was previously stated that this Out-Of-Band (OOB) bulletin was pushed with such urgency, it would take a couple more business days until the CAB file can be revised, tested and released to include today's MS11-100 release. That has now completed and the CAB file is live.

I hope that helps...

• Marked as answer by Doug NealMicrosoft employee Friday, December 30, 2011 6:40 AM
    • Edited by Doug NealMicrosoft employee Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:05 PM Revised to change the original January 3, 2012 release date for the WSUSSCN2.CAB file to December 31, 2011 at 11am Pacific time.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 6:40 AM

For enterprises that require the Microsoft WSUSSCN2.CAB file, it will not be revised until January 3, 2012. This Out-Of-Band (OOB) bulletin was pushed with such urgency, it will take a couple more business days until the CAB file can be revised, tested and released to include today's MS11-100 release.

I hope that helps...

This is the only place on the internet where someone explains why wsusscn2.cab isn't yet up to date for MS11-100, thanks for clearing that up Doug!

But I really can't believe that we have to wait 5 days for this .cab file to arrive. If the bulletin goes out with such urgency, the wsusscn2.cab file should be too! Well, I hope nothing critical happens to the thousands of machines we're trying to keep up to date with SMS 2003 and ITMU.

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Yes - it's unfortunate that the CAB file will be delayed and this is a rare instance.

But for SMS 2003 ITMU customers the workaround is to use standard SMS software distribution.  There is more effort invovled in the workaround, 8 clicks per collection (using standard software distribution) instead of 2 for all applicable machines (using the WSUSSCN2.CAB file), but it is a reasonable workaround to get this high priority, Critical security update to your key machines (especially servers in the case of MS11-100) as soon as possible.

I hope that helps...

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:22 AM
  • I understand that we can distribute these updates with standard SMS software distribution techniques.

All our software updates are distributed per OS, per product, per language, etc. so for example:

Microsoft Update - WindowsXP-x86-KB987654-x86-ENU

Considering that we're running multiple OS's (XP, 7, 2008 R2), multiple architectures (x86, x64), multiple languages (ENU,NLD) and multiple .NET versions (1.1, 2.0, 3.5, 4.0) this would take too much time to do this with standard software distribution. Certainly more than 8 clicks ;-)

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Roel - you're absolutely correct.  The number of locales multiplied by the platforms in an environment certainly does increase the work this will cause to customers like you.

I wish I could provide a better answer.  But until Jan 3, we won't have a newer (revised) WSUSSCN2.CAB file to make this effort as easy as it should be for our customers like you.

Again - this is a very rare case where the urgency and speed of this release was faster than the ability to generate this crucial offline CAB file for SMS and some 3rd party customers.

Friday, December 30, 2011 6:04 PM
  • It is upsetting that the release bulletin didn't state in large bold letters that wsusscn2.cab file was not going to be available until January 3, 2012.  I have wasted a couple of hours trying to figure why wsusscn2.cab was not updated.  We also use BigFix, and the MS11-100 update is completely available and packaged and tested for relevance on Bigfix as of 12/29 afternoon. 
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:59 PM
  • MBartosh - I appreciate the feedback and am sorry for the impact this has has on you.

Thanks to immediate customer feedback and work within Microsoft, we have just released the WSUSSCN2.CAB file publicly.  You do NOT need to wait until January 3, 2012.  It is available now.

I will update the posts above to reflect the revised release of the CAB.

Thank you.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Excellent work Doug, the Sync advertisement in SMS is downloading wsusscn2.cab right now and in WUSSyncXML.log I can see that the new updates are indeed inserted!

Happy New Year Microsoft :-)

Sunday, January 01, 2012 7:57 AM