none
Nested Subfolders multiple levels deep

Frage

• So I started work with this company, they have a document library called "Deal Warehouse" that is around 200GB in size because it has multiple folders for every client they work on and nested subfolders. Each folder has multiple nested folders , sometime 10 levels deep and then files in each of these folders/sub-folders.  So in all a document library can grow to be even 200 GB in size , no meta data , no other sharepoint functionality. This is because the users were forced of file share. Actually they map the explorer view to these folders and hence in their mind they are not even using SharePoint. The users get these files from other file share solutions and prefer copying entire files and folder's as a whole andmoving them around once they have completed work on them.

How do I improve this situation to make SharePoint valid , especially once we move to SharePoint 2010. I have an oppotunity to change the process moving forward , perhaps leaving the old data as is.

My thought it , create a process to convert the folder's that a user uploads into a document library in SharePoint , break the entire folder structure and automatically create metadata out of the folder structure.

So a site could have hundreds of document library but each document library would have meta data and manageable documents with ability to use some SharePoint features like workflow ,search etc ect.

The problem is , how do I do this...I need a tool to import a folder into a document library and then export a document library into a nested folder structure... crazy idea ?

Montag, 18. Juni 2012 13:55

Antworten

• 1. Add as many columns of metadata that are needed to mimic the folder structure. (Obviously there should be some analysis of the folder structure to figure out the insanity/chaos that was established.)

2. Enter choice values into the metadata columns (unless you're just going to allow freetext.)

3. Upload a single folder's files into SharePoint. (Only one folder, or you'll go insane trying to categorize.)

4. In a datasheet view, update the metadata for those files just uploaded. (The datasheet view allows for faster navigation.)

5. Repeat steps 3-5 until all needed files are imported.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com

Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2012 15:47

Alle Antworten

• oh... dear... gawd... !!!  I just puked a little in my mouth.

1. You can create a view that ignores folders. (This may help you get a handle on what you're up against.)

2. I like to create a column called 'Folder', then enter the name of the folder.  (Given the nested nature, you may need to go with a Category, SubCategory, Topic setup.) Powershell may help with this, too.

3. What incredibly dense NetOps team thought that replacing a fileshare with SharePoint was the right idea? (I'm picturing a room full of Monkies with Nerf bats.)

4. Powershell can assist you with moving documents in gross quantities.

Montag, 18. Juni 2012 14:42
  • Thanks Steve , Yes I have hit my head on the desk many times trying to understand why this was done..

Question is , how do we improve moving forward. Not looking to migrate anything....

Montag, 18. Juni 2012 14:47
  • I would recommend you investigate some of the 3rd party tools out there for this purpose.

AvePoint, Bamboo, others... 

http://www.avepoint.com/ 

http://www.avepoint.com/assets/pdf/doc6/DocAve_6_Content_Manager_for_SharePoint2010.pdf

http://store.bamboosolutions.com/bamboomainweb/

http://www.idera.com/Content/Home.aspx

they have tools to assist with the restructuring of libraries.

while I agree with the prior poster that PowerShell could help...I think the task would be daunting.

hope that helps some...

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

• Bearbeitet ErockP3 Montag, 18. Juni 2012 17:23
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen ErockP3 Montag, 18. Juni 2012 17:33
    • Nicht als Antwort vorgeschlagen Steven AndrewsEditor Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 12:12
    Montag, 18. Juni 2012 17:16
  • Improvement would be to ditch folders, IMO.  Convert to MetaData. (Grunty, but not difficult.)

Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 12:18
  • I agree , any idea on how to convert a complicated nested folder structure into a document library in SharePoint with metadata ?

Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2012 13:52
  • 1. Add as many columns of metadata that are needed to mimic the folder structure. (Obviously there should be some analysis of the folder structure to figure out the insanity/chaos that was established.)

2. Enter choice values into the metadata columns (unless you're just going to allow freetext.)

3. Upload a single folder's files into SharePoint. (Only one folder, or you'll go insane trying to categorize.)

4. In a datasheet view, update the metadata for those files just uploaded. (The datasheet view allows for faster navigation.)

5. Repeat steps 3-5 until all needed files are imported.

Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2012 15:47