none
Firefox Login Issues

Question

• On the sharepoint site we're developing at work, people are able to log into the site using IE 7, but when prompted for the username and password on firefox 3, it doesn't matter how many times you try to log on, the username/pass window keeps popping up. If you click cancel it denies you access into the site.
    We've tried to fix the issue for our individual machines by:
    1) logging into IE 7, clicking "save password" when logging in.
    2) Then going into firefox, typing about:config,
    3) Search for URIs
    4) Adding ".csom.umn.edu" to the value column for the three results that popup.

This is a long and complicated procedure for our clients, would it be possible to create an extension or add-on that would automate this procedure just by downloading it after the first failure of logging on with firefox?

Thank you!
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:31 PM

Answers

• You'd need to write an autoconfig file for Mozilla to load the NTLM setting.

http://mit.edu/~firefox/www/maintainers/autoconfig.html

You might be able to get people to simply load the file over the web, if you cn get them to download it.  The IE tab Lambert suggests would also be another approach, that would also require local configuration/install.

Regards

John Timney
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:25 PM

All replies

• Firefox doesn't support NTLM without tweaking - are you simply falling foul of this?  Enable basic on the web app and see if the problem remains.

Regards

John Timney
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Have you checked the following link?
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+asks+for+user+name+and+password+on+internal+sites

This sounds similar to what you mentioned in your post, but I figured I would pass it along just in case this is different.

I will say, that even once you get past this issue then there are still other issues to be expected.

1.  Firefox will not display in datasheet mode.
    2.  Firefox will not display rich text controls (This can be fixed with Telerik RAD controls).
    3.  Some methods of uploading will not work with Firefox.

IE has Active X controls that will install on the clients to enable these features.

Just FYI, in case you were not aware of these things.  Once we found out these things it was recommended that IE just be the default browser.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:08 PM
  • The value should be setting in Firefox (using about:config) is  "network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris" -- search for NTLM .  Add "csom.umn.edu" to allow NTLM authentication to all domains with that suffix (and that domain itself).  That is a one time setting change per user per machine.

However, you can globally change it by creating a script to alter that key on a per-machine level for the Firefox installation in the appropriate .js file.

Brainbench MVP (www.brainbench.com)
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:11 PM
  • I know that sharepoint doesn't work 100% fully with firefox but many of our users have pretty low security levels so they wouldn't be doing much editing/uploading anyways.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Yup that's exactly what I did for my own machine but I went through some tutorials on how to create an extension and it doesn't exactly solve my problem as to how to code it to directly apply to "network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris" so that when the user downloads the extension, the "csom.umn.edu" is applied upon installation.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:20 PM
  • So was your problem simply one of NTML access and have you essentially resolevd this now?

Regards

John Timney
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:42 PM
  • I've gone so far as to figure out what needs to be done but I don't know how to do it. to reiterate my question is "How do I make this to be an automatic solution that people can download and not have to go into the about:config themselves?"
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

If I remember correctly, Firefox could remember the password, so you would not type it again and again.

And you also could try to use IE Tab add-in for Firefox, and use IE core to access SharePoint sites.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin | Microsoft TechNet Managed Forum Support
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:55 AM
  • You'd need to write an autoconfig file for Mozilla to load the NTLM setting.

http://mit.edu/~firefox/www/maintainers/autoconfig.html

You might be able to get people to simply load the file over the web, if you cn get them to download it.  The IE tab Lambert suggests would also be another approach, that would also require local configuration/install.

Regards

John Timney
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:25 PM
  • I tried clicking "remember password" and then entering in the username/password but the window keeps popping up over and over no matter how many times you enter it
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:14 PM