none
Pages stored under Documents folder vs. Pages folder

Question

•  

I am using SharePoint 20007.  When I do Site Actions-> Create Page

Pages created are stored under Pages folder.

However, when I do Site Actions_>View All Site Content;   there is a Create (not Create Page) button shown on the top. When I click on Create button, it gives me choice of:

Basic Page

Web Part Page

Publishing Page

When I select Basic page or Web Part Page, pages created are stored under Documents folder, why? It is quite confusing for me to look in both folders Documents and Pages to find all my pages.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:29 PM

Answers

• There are 2 types of pages in MOSS. One you see when publishing features are not available and the other with the publishing feature. Currently the site you are using has publishing enabled that is why you are able to see a pages library. Publishing pages are stored in the pages library where as the non publishing pages are treated as documents and stored in a document library.
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Tuesday, April 07, 2009 3:48 AM
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:12 PM

All replies

• There are 2 types of pages in MOSS. One you see when publishing features are not available and the other with the publishing feature. Currently the site you are using has publishing enabled that is why you are able to see a pages library. Publishing pages are stored in the pages library where as the non publishing pages are treated as documents and stored in a document library.
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Tuesday, April 07, 2009 3:48 AM
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:12 PM
  • If you don't mind me adding my opinion about this feature...at least some things to consider.

- Publishing pages that are stored in the "pages" library have the "Quick Lauch/current navigation" included on them. Thus users have no idea whether it is a page or site and can easily navigate through your site. Otherwise, with a basic web page page users will need to navigate out of the library or you will need to create a link.

- Publishing pages of the ability to edit, check-in and publish. Allowing you to edit pages and prepare them before they are available to other users.

One thing to consider....contributors will have access to edit pages. If you don't want this just chance the security settings of the "pages" library.
    Kipp Sorensen http://justgeeking.net/blog
    Friday, April 03, 2009 1:58 PM