none
Sharepoint site not working - Server Error in '/' Application

Question

• Hi,

All of sudden my main sharepoint site stopped working when users are trying to browse to it.  I am trying to get to the root site https://intranet.site.com and it throws the following error:

Description:
    An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web
    request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and
    where it originated in the code.

Exception Details:
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the
    current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
    exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties() +134
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_PartitionIDs() +44
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.IsAvailable(SPServiceContext serviceContext) +329
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalAvailable() +44
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.EnsureMySiteUrls() +60
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalMySiteUrlAvailable() +15
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2427

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5466;
    ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5456

Thanks

Carlos

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 5:24 AM

Answers

• The issue was with the Application pool that had all my sharepoint applications running on it.  It was showing up as stopped, but in my intial troubleshooting I did try restarting it and it would not.  I even restarted the server a couple of times and the same application pool would not start up automatically.   After the 2nd time I was able to restart the application pool and the site started working. 

Thanks for all the suggestions

Carlos

• Marked as answer by Carlos Adam Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check ULS log and also make below changes in your web app. web.config file so this could give you more beautiful error:

CallStack ="true" and Customerror Mode ="Off"

Let us know the error detail

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 5:47 AM
  • Hi Hemendra,

This is what I am seeing several times in the log file.

01/08/2013 07:35:00.89  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0920)                    0x16E8 SharePoint Portal Server       User Profiles                  hyc6 High     Exception occured while connecting to WCF endpoint: System.ServiceModel.ServerTooBusyException: The HTTP service located at http://sharepoint:32843/480e894dfe2d4bffa6c9a440036eb5cc/ProfilePropertyService.svc is too busy.  ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.     at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---    Server stack trace:      at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChan... 9f1d763e-9a04-41de-9fda-5840350d5e67

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:38 PM
  • I also checked the web.config file and Callstack was already set to true.  I changed Customerror Mode to Off.  The same details as above.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties() +134
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_PartitionIDs() +44
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.IsAvailable(SPServiceContext serviceContext) +329
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalAvailable() +44
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.EnsureMySiteUrls() +60
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalMySiteUrlAvailable() +15
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2427

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Based on this error details, there is problem with your user profile service so first question is: Have you made any changes in user profile service? also see below blog for same issue:

http://bernado-nguyen-hoan.com/2012/08/30/nullreferenceexception-at-microsoft-office-server-administration-userprofileapplicationproxy-get_applicationproperties/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sharepointadminprevious/thread/1e27e077-f910-4202-bd64-7f200dcb7dc9/

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kunal_mukherjee/archive/2011/10/20/sharepoint-issue-unable-to-oben-the-site-object-null-reference-error-solution.aspx

Let us know your result

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

No, I have made no changes to the user profile service.  I have noticed that the User Profile Synchronization Service is stopped.  Should that be started?  The User Profile Service is started.

When I click to start it, it wants me to enter the password for the Farm account, but that is changed automatically as it is configured as a managed account, so I don't know what it is.

In IIS manager I also noticed that the Sharepoint Web Services has a question mark beside it.

Carlos

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I also noticed that the Forefront Identity Manager Service and the Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Services are disabled.  They both use the Farm account to login.  What should they be set to? Automatic?  Started?

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:19 PM
  • You don't set FIM services manually. It has to be provisioned by the User Profile Synchronization Service.

To get the Farm account password, Go Central Admin -> Security -> Configure managed Accounts -> Select Farm account to edit -> Change password now

You need Farm account to provision User Profile Sync Service, make sure Farm account is added to the local administrators group.

After adding Farm account to local administrators group, you MUST reboot the server and then provision the User Profile Sync Service because Farm account is being used by the Timer service, a reboot is necessary to update the privileges.

http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx <-- read this if you need more info about provisioning UPS 

Anyway, as far as I know, User Profile Sync Service doesn't have to be started. It is only needed for profile synchronization.

Sorry, I still don't have the answer for your main question

Alex

MCTS SharePoint 2007 MCITP SharePoint 2010 OCA BCCPA

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Hi

You can try this one 

http://melick-rajee.blogspot.com/2011/07/user-profile-synchronization-service.html

and if you can reconfigure the user profile. Delete the existing and see whether it is working (Becarefull if it is live)

Thank you! 

Melick Rajee http://melick-rajee.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:08 AM
  • I also noticed that the Forefront Identity Manager Service and the Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Services are disabled.  They both use the Farm account to login.  What should they be set to? Automatic?  Started?

Both FIM services should be started before starting the user profile service. Use farm account to enable those services then start user profile service. Once you done this then your site should work.

If you want to open your site for temporary purpose then then de-associate that user profile service from web application.

Go to CA-->Application Management-->configure service application associations-->click your web application-->uncheck user profile service.

Once you fix the issue then you can again associate it.

Let us know your result

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:55 AM
  • Hello Experts,

Just for your information,

I had also faced the same issue before a quarter, and I tried all the stuff as mentioned in above thread, but didn't got success.

When I restarted my server, the issue didn't occurred again.

Regards,

Uday G

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 5:08 AM
  • The issue was with the Application pool that had all my sharepoint applications running on it.  It was showing up as stopped, but in my intial troubleshooting I did try restarting it and it would not.  I even restarted the server a couple of times and the same application pool would not start up automatically.   After the 2nd time I was able to restart the application pool and the site started working. 

Thanks for all the suggestions

Carlos

• Marked as answer by Carlos Adam Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Go to CA-->Application Management-->configure service application associations-->click your web application-->uncheck user profile service

This worked for me.

• CustomErrors="Off"
    • CallStack="true"
    • Finally i can see the real error. I did what you said "boom" worked. Thanks

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:12 PM