Isolating View To Only The Document Library

Question

• My team is developing a new SharePoint site to aid in the distribution and storage of daily/bi-weekly/weekly reports.  We've hit a bit of a snag and I could use any assistance you might have.  The majority of the users we have added to this site are management and we do not mind them having a full view of the site, however there are a handful of reports that need to go out to management as well as non-management associates. We have created a new Document Library for each of the reports that we generate.  What I'd like to do is add users on a library level, allowing them access to view any documents within that library, but not allowing them to see any of the other libraries that management can view. I had thought that I might add a user on the Library level and they would only see that, but the test user I added informed me that she could see all of the libraries and freely click through them. What am I missing?  Is this simply not possible?
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:15 PM

Answers

• You need to first break permission inheritance at each library you wish to set unique permissions for. Next you should create a group that is specific to each library and assign it the permission level you want those users to have. Add your users to that specific group, for that specific library.

Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Create a new permission level and create a new user group based for that level and add the users to that group. Now set the document library to that user group. Now you can test it.

Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards, Chandra Shekhar

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Thanks for the pointer.  I think I must be missing something somewhere else though.  The moment I add the group to that library, they then get added to each library on the sub-site.  How can I prevent this from happening?
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:29 PM
  • You need to first break permission inheritance at each library you wish to set unique permissions for. Next you should create a group that is specific to each library and assign it the permission level you want those users to have. Add your users to that specific group, for that specific library.

Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Thanks Daniel.

That was exactly what I needed to do to get it to work as we needed it. 

Thank you all for your help and pointers.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:09 PM