none
How to send bulk email to contacts stored in SharePoint 2010 lists

Question

• How do I send a group email to contacts stored in SP2010 List? I have a very large Customer List with various categories(supervisors, employees..etc). I would like to filter the list(say all supervisors) and send them an email directly from sharepoint?

Thanks

Cec

nothing for members to see

• Edited by cecilita Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:15 PM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:15 PM

Answers

• Hello Cec -

I don't believe SharePoint 2010 allows you to do this OOTB. You may want to consider the solution offered here though:

http://store.bamboosolutions.com/sharepoint-group-email-web-part.aspx 

I hope this helps.

Michael Allen (.NET and SharePoint 2010 Developer)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:17 PM
  • You can send email from javascript in an content editor web part or HTML Form webpart  (if someone is doing this interactively in the browser AND they have an email client installed) by changing the current page ref to a mailto: reference.

location.href="mailto:"+emailTo+emailSub+emailBody;

var emailSub = "?subject=xxxxx";
    var emailBody = "&body=xxxxx";

That will pop up an email window. Build up the emailTo by using Javascript/JQuery to pick up selected people on the page, or all rows on the page, or use something like SPServices or web service calls to pick up all items in a specific view. Depends totally on how you want the UI to work. Not sure I'd do this on an external facing SP site since you wouldn't want any emails addresses in the clear to harvest, but inside a company intranet should be fine.

For example, you could read all records in the Supervisors view, build up the emailTo var with the correct addresses or names that your email client needs, then set location.href to the correct mailto: link.

Robin

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hello Cec -

I don't believe SharePoint 2010 allows you to do this OOTB. You may want to consider the solution offered here though:

http://store.bamboosolutions.com/sharepoint-group-email-web-part.aspx 

I hope this helps.

Michael Allen (.NET and SharePoint 2010 Developer)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:17 PM
  • You can send email from javascript in an content editor web part or HTML Form webpart  (if someone is doing this interactively in the browser AND they have an email client installed) by changing the current page ref to a mailto: reference.

location.href="mailto:"+emailTo+emailSub+emailBody;

var emailSub = "?subject=xxxxx";
    var emailBody = "&body=xxxxx";

That will pop up an email window. Build up the emailTo by using Javascript/JQuery to pick up selected people on the page, or all rows on the page, or use something like SPServices or web service calls to pick up all items in a specific view. Depends totally on how you want the UI to work. Not sure I'd do this on an external facing SP site since you wouldn't want any emails addresses in the clear to harvest, but inside a company intranet should be fine.

For example, you could read all records in the Supervisors view, build up the emailTo var with the correct addresses or names that your email client needs, then set location.href to the correct mailto: link.

Robin

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:06 PM