none
Check Out / Check In. Where do the files go / come from?

Question

• SP 2007:

Scenario: I have some Word documents in my document library, with versioning enabled. I want to check out a file, edit it, and check it back in.

I checked out a file, but I can't find where it went. Where do the files I check out from my document library go? When I check in a file, where does the document library expect to find it?

Thanks,

Jon Jacobs This message was composed entirely from recycled electrons.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:18 AM No need for SP 2007: in Title. Default for these forums. More useful to say *in Text* if WSS 3.0 or MOSS 2007
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Assuming you're using the "Local Draft Folder"...

..\My Documents\SharePoint Drafts

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Thank you. How do I find out if I'm using the "Local Draft Folder" ?

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Pardon me for stating the obvious, but look in that folder.  If you see your doc, then you're using it.

But, I think I'd better take a step back at this point and explictly state that Checking Out a document doesn't necessarily put you into Edit mode of the document(which could trigger the use of the local drafts folder).  When you just check it out, it's simply marking a flag that you have it locked for edit, and nobody else can. (it doesn't mean that you ARE editing it, just that you don't want other to be able to.)

Depending on your environment, you may be able to click on the document, have it check out and go into edit mode (two distinct concepts), but have it appear as single seamless process.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:48 PM
  • >obvious, but look in that folder

Since I don't have a folder by that name anywhere, I figured that was an alias for some folder that I would still need to find out the actual name for. I'm dense, I guess, but it wasn't obvious to me.

>But, I think I'd better take a step back at this point and explictly state that Checking Out a document doesn't necessarily put you into Edit mode

No problem there. I didn't expect that anyway. I DID expect to find the file landed somewhere, but I can't find it on my computer.

Are there settings I need to tweak to make this work? Do I just need to create "local drafts folder" somewhere and it will start working? If so, where should I put this folder.

Thanks,

Jon

Monday, December 06, 2010 3:32 PM
  • You didn't specify the version of Office that you use.  If 2003, then it doesn't integrate very well.  If 2007, when you click on a document, you should get prompted with a dialog.  You can see an example of it in this post:

http://training.kent.edu/sharepoint/doccenter.cfm

Scroll down to 'Selecting and Editing Documents in the Document Center', then see #2.

Monday, December 06, 2010 4:11 PM
  • >..\My Documents\SharePoint Drafts

Oops. I'm embarrased. You had the precise location right there in you post, and somehow I didn't see it. Sometimes I can stare right at something and not see it. Anyway, I don't have that folder.

>You didn't specify the version of Office that you use.  If 2003, then it doesn't integrate very well.

Yep. That's what I have. Now what? I don't care much how well it integrates, though. I just want to know where the file checked out lands. As far as I can see, the checked out file does not reach my computer at all. Should that really depend on my version of Office? I originally thought the checked out file would land where the file was uploaded from in the first place, but that didn't happen, either.

Thanks,

Monday, December 06, 2010 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jon Q Jacobs Monday, December 06, 2010 8:25 PM
    Monday, December 06, 2010 7:51 PM
  • Thank you very much for the links. Bottom line - checking out a file does not bring it down to my computer unless I have a piece of Office 2007. Company Standard is Office 2003. I'll have to download Sharepoint Designer sometime when I have time to go though the approval process to download a non-approved app onto my machine (even though it's free).

Meanwhile, it looks like I'll have to download the file separately after check out (as will anyone else I open the library to).

Most of the files in my libraries are TEXT files (plus some binary files), not Office files. So, I wonder if it will be worth the effort to get something like that approved. I mean will it still not work since the files involved are not Office files?

BTW, when I check out one of my text files, then download it, then edit it, then I want to check it back in, is that EVEN POSSIBLE? How will SharePoint know where to check it in from?

Thanks,

Monday, December 06, 2010 8:35 PM