none
Multiple Datasources in an Data View web part used for editing

Question

• I can use SPD to create an Edit Item form by inserting a Data View web part(DataFormWebPart) on a page, picking a datasource, selecting fields in the Data source details pane and selecting Insert Selected Fields as Single Item Form. From there I can can customize it, put in XSLT logic etc.  

I was wondering if it is possible to add another datasource (another list) to the web part, read from that list and use that data to drive logic in the web part? I know I can use multiple datasources by doing a linked datasource (which creates an AggregateDataSource that contains my two datasources) but I lose the ability to update by doing that.

Thanks!

Nick

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:50 PM

Answers

• @Pratik and @Daniel,

Thanks for your replies. I figured the answer would be no but just thought I would ask before I move on to another solution. There are other things I thought of that may work: javascript (client object model), querystring parameters. Also web part connections as you suggested Daniel. There is no reference between the sources or else I could probably just use a lookup column.

Nick

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

is there any reference between these two data sources?

are you using any of the data source used in data view web part as a reference for other?

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Unfortunately, the main reason for creating a linked source is that the data view web part can only accept information from a single data source. So you need to combine your sources into the linked source to act as a single data source. Can you create two connected data views to accomplish your end result?

Imagine what we could be...if we could just imagine. | Daniel A. Galant | Sr. SharePoint Solutions Architect EPC Group.net

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:46 PM
  • @Pratik and @Daniel,

Thanks for your replies. I figured the answer would be no but just thought I would ask before I move on to another solution. There are other things I thought of that may work: javascript (client object model), querystring parameters. Also web part connections as you suggested Daniel. There is no reference between the sources or else I could probably just use a lookup column.

Nick

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:09 PM