none
PC Specs for SharePoint Designer 2007?

Question

• First, I haven't found any system requirements for this software. 

The only thing I can find is this:

"Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2"

Does anyone else notice that there's a lot of latency?  This thing often freezes for up to 30 seconds when all I do is type, or move my cursor. 

Code view is almost acceptable, but Design mode is almost impossible to work with.

I have 2.39 Gz, 3GB Ram with wxp. 

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:24 AM Pre-Sales q (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi there.

Well SharePoint Designer itself is not that heavy on your system resources that it would cause lockups. Of course, if you have a overloaded system with a lot of programs and background services running, any program will suffer. I suspect that there is something else that causes these issues besides system specifications. First, make sure that wou have Service Pack 2 for SharePoint Design 2007 installed. Secondly, more or less everything SPD do it does using the network and the backend SharePoint services. So that raises 2 more questions; is your network connection reliable? What is the latency? Ping your SharePoint server using the -t parameter to see if you have any drops. Is your SharePoint server responsive? Browse around on it, do you get lockups? What is the specs of your server?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Magnus

My blog: InsomniacGeek.com
    • Edited by Magnus Johansson Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:32 AM spelling
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, July 23, 2010 6:22 AM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi there.

Well SharePoint Designer itself is not that heavy on your system resources that it would cause lockups. Of course, if you have a overloaded system with a lot of programs and background services running, any program will suffer. I suspect that there is something else that causes these issues besides system specifications. First, make sure that wou have Service Pack 2 for SharePoint Design 2007 installed. Secondly, more or less everything SPD do it does using the network and the backend SharePoint services. So that raises 2 more questions; is your network connection reliable? What is the latency? Ping your SharePoint server using the -t parameter to see if you have any drops. Is your SharePoint server responsive? Browse around on it, do you get lockups? What is the specs of your server?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Magnus

My blog: InsomniacGeek.com
    • Edited by Magnus Johansson Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:32 AM spelling
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, July 23, 2010 6:22 AM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:31 AM
  • I don't have anything to add except that I share your pain.  I have experienced serious performance issues SPD 2007 in design mode.  I generally don't use design mode at all if I can help it.

--Paul Galvin, Computer Generated Solutions (CGS)
      Microsoft MVP - SharePoint
      Blogging @ http://www.mstechblogs.com/paul
      Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/pagalvin
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Like the others, I have experienced some painful performance too, although to be fair in general it has been very good for me. Typically when I have had performance issue they have been caused either by the connection to the server, or the server itself running slowly. I have also had some issues with the design view when there's lots of complicated markup, especially if there's something actually wrong in the markup. It may not be obvious where or what it is, but it can slow SPD down no end.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:27 AM
  • I tried pinging it, and responses seem very fast.  I'm not getting any lost packets, and responses are usually < 1ms.

I kind of suspect that SharePoint designer creates so much code for certain things such as Gantt charts.  It takes the system quite a long time to re-parse it every time I make edits.  It often freezes for up to a minute when all I did was type a few words into my html. 

Ping statistics for 192.168.101.56:
        Packets: Sent = 195, Received = 195, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 69ms, Average = 0ms
    Control-C
    ^C

Friday, July 23, 2010 4:11 PM