none
DocLib Upload files checkbox - change default to not overwrite existing files?

Question

• Hello

Any ideas how to make the "overwrite existing files" checkbox on the upload files page default to not checked

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Open the Upload.aspx and UploadEx.aspx file in the template\layouts directory.  Create a backup copy of the files.  Edit all the "Checked" attributes to be "false".

Chris

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:48 AM
  • Thanks Chris

What is the path to the template\layout folder where those files are located in WSS3?

I guess I will have to copy Upload.aspx and UploadEx.aspx from the server to my local PC then open them in SharePoint Designer or Visual Studio, make the changes, Save them, then copy them back onto the server overwriting the originals (after I have made backups)?

I guess it's not possible to open the layouts folder directly using Sharepoint Designer/Visual Studio?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:43 AM
  • you can finde the upload-aspx-Page at

12/Templates/Layouts

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:53 AM
  • I can see Upload.aspx but not UploadEx.aspx at the location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS

What is UploadEx.aspx?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Here's a step by step:  http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2010/02/sharepoint-prevent-accidental.html

These files will need to be opened directly from the server, not with SharePoint Designer.  Notepad will do.

Note that this change will also impact uploads to a library using versioning. The check box will now default to not adding a new version.

(also, uploadex.aspx is part of SharePoint 2010)

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by BayTree Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Gotta love the joy of msdn forums when someone else gets the credit for an answer...lovely.

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:56 PM
  • Hi Chris,

> when someone else gets the credit for an answer

Yes that does happen from time to time...    :-(   I've been the victim also.

I only answered due to the confusion over the 2010 "ex" file and how to edit it. If there is a way to transfer the "credit", then do so. I'll propose yours as the answer.

Mike

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Hey guys.

Very many thanks for your help.

FYI - I correctly marked Mike Smith's reply as the answer to my question as Mike's solution is complete with How-to blog link. This is what I needed rather than Chris's bare facts.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Dear Mike,

Thank you very much worked with me on share point 2010 environment , but somthing strange happened that when i updated only uploadx.aspx , it worked well but it did not work with one web application which is carries mysite, i solved it by updating upload.aspx too, it may happened because mysite web application have some customisations done by a development company may be they have used custom uploader which uses upload.aspx not uploadx.aspx 

great link :

http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/search/label/SharePoint%202010

thanks

Karim El Zarka, MCTS Sharepoint 2010 , MCITP SharePoint Administrator 2010

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:26 AM