none
mssdmn.exe using all server memory

Question

• My sharepoint farm with 2008 R2 windows server, sharepoint 2010 and sql server 2005 as backend. I have been plagued by this issue for last several months. Before it used to happen once a month, now its happening every week or so. Out of 7-8 mssdmn.exe process running , one will consume all server memory then go on consuming virtual memory. I have looked out so far and only 3 reasons are given:

SQL server patching for 2000 server ( i have 2005)

IFILTER package for sharepoint ( I have latest)

IFILTER for pdf ( i have adobe but in the process of buying foxit)

My question is what exactly this process is and when does this process start. I have killed all these process and yet sharepoint would run without any problem. But they will start showing up again after few hours. So what triggers the creation of this process and consumption of memroy. Is it indexing? If yes how can i configure indexing. All i can see in SharePoint is reset index and one timer job that runs every 5 minutes. Any information will be a great help.

Thanks.

sachin

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:49 PM

All replies

• What is the build number of SQL Server?

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:04 PM
  • The server build is 9.00.5057.00(x 64)

sachin

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:57 PM
  • The process is the indexing process for SharePoint search.  What's probably happened is you're killing the process and full crawls are getting interrupted, so at the next scheduled incremental crawl, since the previous crawl was 'killed' a full crawl is required which can be more resource intense depending on the size of the index.  

Your best bet would be to start a full crawl and let it finish.  

What do your crawl logs look like?

MCITP-EA | "Never test how deep the water is with both feet"

Friday, July 19, 2013 12:26 AM
  • I don't think so. I have personally ran full crawls of largest databases and kept eye on mssdmn process. Nothing happened. But 2-3 hours after crawls were done it started spiking up. Even i was thinking it was related to crawl process but now i do not know where to look at.

sachin

Friday, July 19, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Any ideas anyone.

sachin

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:31 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

We are encountering a similar issue with our installations; did you ever identify the solution to this issue?

Richard

Monday, December 02, 2013 1:25 PM
  • For us , we installed foxit pro that made this made the number of times mssdmn.exe process consuming processor resource go down drastically.

Also just to keep the close eye on this process , i am now running below powershell script every 2 minute to check the process and kill it if it uses more than 1800 cpu parameter.

Get-Process mssdmn  | ? {$_.CPU-gt 1800} | stop-process force

sachin

Monday, December 09, 2013 7:04 PM
  • This happens on the SharePoint server on which Search is running. It creates lot of handles which needs to be killed else CPU utilization will spike very high almost to 100%, causing Web Fronts also to become very slow.

Reboot the server on which Search has been running. Also, its good to reboot all the SharePoint servers quarterly as a maintenance activity to keep such issues from arising.

Owens G. Jesse

Monday, December 09, 2013 7:16 PM