none
Workflows not appearing in site

Question

• I've created two workflows on a site. One was a simple predefined feedback workflow that I applied to a document. I can start that workflow from any document in the shared document library and it works fine. I created a list and a workflow in Sharepoint Designer, and linked the workflow to the list. The "Allow this workflow to be manually started"  checkbox is checked. Everything else in Sharepoint Designer looks fine as far as I can tell.

When I go to the list and select Workflow Settings from the List Tools ribbon, I can see the workflow but can't do anything with it. When I go to All Site Content and select Site Workflows, I don't see any workflows at all.

Why am I not seeing these workflows in All Site Content, and how can I kick off this list workflow?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:15 PM

Answers

• "Workflow Settings" from the List Tools ribbon is for you to associate (aka Add a workflow) or dis-associate (aka Remove a workflow) Workflows to your lists. If you try to click on an associated workflow for a list, you may get the following message. This is by design. 

If you wanted to start your workflow manually, you should do the following:

• go to your list
    • select an existing list item
    • click "workflows" under the "Items" tab in the ribbon area
    • then you lunch your workflow

View All Site Content" -> "Site Workflows" is for you to see all Site Workflows. I assume the workflow you created for your list is a List Workflow (not a Site Workflow). This is why you didn't see it.

http://amavs.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/sharepoint-2010-site-workflow/

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:00 PM
  • If you are simply clicking "Workflow Settings" in the Ribbon (the top choice of the arrow there is also "Workflow Settings") it will take to you to the "Workflow Settings" page. You cannot start a workflow from this page. It simply shows you what workflows are associated with the list.

If you created a list workflow (in SPD you will see it listed under the "List Workflow" section on the Workflows Site Objects page) it will not show up in the All Site Content->Site Workflows page. Only site workflows show up there. (In SPD you will see them listed under the "Site Workflow" section on the Workflows Site Objects page.) If you go to Site Actions->Site Settings->Workflows you will only see reusable workflows there. (In SPD you will see it listed under the "Reusable Workflow" on the Workflows Site Objects page.)

Having said all that, if you want to manually start a workflow, you have to go to the item that you want to start the workflow on and use the menu on the title field (mouse over the title of the item to activate the menu) and select Workflows from the list of option that come up. Then you will see the Start a New Workflow section at the top of the page and you can click on the workflow you want to start to start the workflow.

Marlene Lanphier MCTS

• Marked as answer by Jason McKinney Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:40 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:17 PM

All replies

• "Workflow Settings" from the List Tools ribbon is for you to associate (aka Add a workflow) or dis-associate (aka Remove a workflow) Workflows to your lists. If you try to click on an associated workflow for a list, you may get the following message. This is by design. 

If you wanted to start your workflow manually, you should do the following:

• go to your list
    • select an existing list item
    • click "workflows" under the "Items" tab in the ribbon area
    • then you lunch your workflow

View All Site Content" -> "Site Workflows" is for you to see all Site Workflows. I assume the workflow you created for your list is a List Workflow (not a Site Workflow). This is why you didn't see it.

http://amavs.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/sharepoint-2010-site-workflow/

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:00 PM
  • If you are simply clicking "Workflow Settings" in the Ribbon (the top choice of the arrow there is also "Workflow Settings") it will take to you to the "Workflow Settings" page. You cannot start a workflow from this page. It simply shows you what workflows are associated with the list.

If you created a list workflow (in SPD you will see it listed under the "List Workflow" section on the Workflows Site Objects page) it will not show up in the All Site Content->Site Workflows page. Only site workflows show up there. (In SPD you will see them listed under the "Site Workflow" section on the Workflows Site Objects page.) If you go to Site Actions->Site Settings->Workflows you will only see reusable workflows there. (In SPD you will see it listed under the "Reusable Workflow" on the Workflows Site Objects page.)

Having said all that, if you want to manually start a workflow, you have to go to the item that you want to start the workflow on and use the menu on the title field (mouse over the title of the item to activate the menu) and select Workflows from the list of option that come up. Then you will see the Start a New Workflow section at the top of the page and you can click on the workflow you want to start to start the workflow.

Marlene Lanphier MCTS

• Marked as answer by Jason McKinney Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:40 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:17 PM
  • Thanks, Jason and Marlene. I was able to find the workflows following your example. I looked in the list view, but since the list was empty I didn't have a list item to select. I had to create a list item manually and could then launch the workflow from the item I created.

Thanks again,

Jason

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:42 PM