none
[Sharepoint Product Configuration Error] Configuration Database Settings : Cannot connect to database master at SQL Server at <servername>.

Question

• Good afternoon everyone,

Today, I was assigned to install SharePoint Server 2010 on our server. The only reason for doing so is to use the 'Forms Server', which supposedly is included within SharePoint Server.

During the installation, I successfully installed the Prerequisities, and everything is working alright through the installation process of SharePoint.

However, during the Configuration settings, this error prompts repeatedly;
    Cannot connect to database master at SQL Server at MYSERVER. The database might not exist, or the current user does not have permission to connect to it.

---
    I am using the Administrator's account, so I am pretty sure I am able to access the server. However, I do not know about the database not existing. I am sure that all the Prerequisties were installed successfully, and I do see an SQL Server 2005 in my list of programs/services.

I also entered MYSERVER as the Database Server. MYSERVER is the name of this computer, its FQDN is MYSERVER.VMSVR.MPRAFF.com. I honestly am very puzzled. I just wish to make use of Forms Server. May I know what am I missing here?

Thank you for all help in advance~

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:24 AM

All replies

• "However, during the Configuration settings, this error prompts repeatedly;
    Cannot connect to database master at SQL Server at MYSERVER. The database might not exist, or the current user does not have permission to connect to it."

If the SQL service account is correct, then this error can also be caused by your Windows Firewall preventing communication between the SharePoint Server and the Remote SQL server.  

Try disabling your Windows Firewall on the Remote SQL server and that should fix your issue with the configuration wizard failing at that stage.

George

• Proposed as answer by Graystone71 Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:32 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Thank you, Alpesh Nakar for the links. I will most definitely check them out!

Thank you too, George. I disabled my Firewall now, and is receiving a new error...

It states that my SQL server has an 'unsupported version 9.0.3042.0.'
    I will work on it now, but I would appreciate any new tips from anyone~

Yours sincerely,
    H.Vi

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Now that there's communication, you are obviously running an unsupported version of Sql. Check out the minimum software requirements for SharePoint 2010 including min versions of SQL and necessary service packs. I'm mobile at the moment so can't send you the direct link, but you should be able to locate it easily.
    Blog: http://sharepointgeorge.com Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgekhalil
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Hi H.Vi,

Since George is on "Mobile" firewall ;), here are the details on Software Requirements for you.

You seem to be using SQL Server 2005 with Service Pack 2. SharePoint 2010 requires SQL 2005 SP3.  To know, how to identify your SQL Server, you can check this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/321185?p=1

And below is the link to check detailed Software Requirements for SharePoint 2010:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485(office.14).aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    If you get your Question answered, please come back and mark the reply as an Answer, so others can find it.
    If you get helped by an Answer to someone else's question, please vote the Post as Helpful.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:14 AM
  • Thank you, George and KSDN for your prompt replies! I really appreciate that.

Yes, I have figured that it was the incompatibility of my SQL server, so I have decided to install the SQL server 2008. However, I am receiving a lot of errors from the installation itself, which can be found here;
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlkjsetupandupgrade/thread/976a92b0-f74a-44fa-b5c0-9173a587d0f0

I seem to be missing something. Firstly, is it right to install a 2008 version of the SQL Server? I am quite confused at this point, and I am currently reading up the software requirements.

Thank you so much for your help!

Yours sincerely,
    H. Vi

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:05 AM
  • I have the same error-"Cannot connect to database..." In application pool (Advanced option), when i reset the identity field (re enter username and password)  it works.

However it drops time to time. do you know why ?

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. ~Doug Linder
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:29 PM
  • If your firewall is turned off, then try to log off and log on again, and make sure you are logging on using the domain account, I've faced this error today and this solved my problem.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:47 AM
  • I had a same issue. Here is what it was:
    Go to SQL Server and run SQL Server Configuration Manager
    Doube click SQL Server Network Configuration
    Click on Protocols for {you SQL server instance} (usually if you used default settings it is Protocol for MSSQLSERVER) and then in right panel be sure that TCP/IP is Enabled.
    If it is not, right click on TCP/IP and choose Enable option.

NOTE: Enabling TCP/IP may require you to restart service. Just to be sure, on a left panel click on SQL Server Services
    Then in right panel click on SQL Server  {you SQL server instance} (usually if you used default settings it is SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER))
    Right click on it and choose Restart

Now, try again - worked for me.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:25 AM
  • I has the permissions error but my problem was I was using a local Administrator account and it did not have access to talk to the network. I logged in as a domain user and all was ok.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:21 AM