none
Insert Picture from SharePoint grayed out - Insert Link from SharePoint grayed out on SharePoint 2010 Ribbon Bar

Question

• We have recently migrated to SP 2010.  It has just come to my attention that when user add a Content Editor Web Part and then try Use the Insert Picture from SharePoint option it is grayed out.  This is the same for the Insert Link from SharePoint option. 

I have read many entries about this but none of the solutions are working.  I have gone to Site Settings -> Manage Site Feature -> SharePoint Server Publishing -> Activate.  This has had no impact, the problem is still present.

Keeping in mind that the problem is on sites that were part of the migration I have created a new site and tried to invoke the settings and no change.

Surely it is not a requirement that all new sites must be made using the Publishing site as a template?

Is there a Central Administration feature I need to be looking at?

This is very frustrating - any feedback greatly appreciated.

Scott

Scott Gerber
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:52 PM

Answers

• Solution: Activate the Publishing feature for this site. After activation the cammands will be enabled.

If you don't want to activate the publishing feature you have to write a custom ribbon command and overwrite the standard fromSharepoint command.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:45 AM

All replies

• Are you selecting inside the CEWP before you check if the button is available? 
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Yes I click inside the CEWP - I tested this with CEWP that already have existing content as well and the buttons are grayed out.  It is strange that it is both options that are grayed out - the one for Links from SharePoint as well.

Scott

Scott Gerber
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Hello Scott,

I attempted to reproduce the issue to see what's going on. I am unable to reproduce the issue on my test environment Does the issue reproduce if you create a new webapplication and a new site collection .

Also what  is the current build that you have tested the behavior on ?

If you are not able to reproduce the issue with a new webapplication please provide us with more details of the migration you were doing.

Thanks,

Manas

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Manas -

I am not sure how to get the current build number - I manage the frontend of our SharePoint services. 

The migration was a SharePoint 2007 site, we had no problems with inserting images or links from SharePoint, now we are unable to use these options when editing sites that were migrated.

Scott

Scott Gerber
    Monday, April 04, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Scott,

Did you ever figure this issue out. I'm facing the same issue.

Lester Sconyers Jr
    Monday, May 09, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Hello Scott,

In order to follow the steps I mentioned above you would need access to Central administration. Also the issue is not reproducible at my end.  I would say this issue requires a more in-depth level of support and additional investigation.  Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone. If you are a MSDN / TechNet subscriber, you can also contact our support by using your free support incidents.

However, other members of the community may still have encountered the issue you're seeing, and have a solution to offer!

Thanks,

Manas

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Solution: Activate the Publishing feature for this site. After activation the cammands will be enabled.

If you don't want to activate the publishing feature you have to write a custom ribbon command and overwrite the standard fromSharepoint command.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Thanks setsch, this worked like a charm.

Vishwas MCTS, MCITP SharePoint 2010

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Hi Manas,

I encountered this same issue and was very frustrated as I had turned on the publishing feature at the site collection level and still the option to insert link "From SharePoint" was grayed out at the site level, but after much frustration realized that the feature ALSO needs to be turned on at the "manage site features" level for each individual site within the site collection.

My problem is now solved. The inserting link "From SharePoint" is now activated on all my sites.

Hope this helps others,

Kara

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:01 PM