none
SharePoint 2010 Web Analytics Unexpected Error

Question

• When I access the web analytics report at http://domain.com/_layouts/WebAnalytics/Report.aspx?t=SummaryReport&l=sc I get the error below:

An unexpected error has occurred.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.

Correlation ID: [guid]

Date and Time: 1/17/2011 12:36:12 PM

Checked the SharePoint logs for the Correlation ID and got the three errors below:

01/17/2011 12:36:12.77    w3wp.exe (0x3C38)    0x1240    SharePoint Foundation    Topology    e5mb    Medium    WcfReceiveRequest: LocalAddress: 'http://server.domain.net:32843/b5b559b9118949f78ad3aa8ef9b6863b/WebAnalyticsService.svc' Channel: 'System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel' Action: 'http://tempuri.org/IWebAnalyticsWebServiceApplication/GetData' MessageId: 'urn:uuid:e3d61740-0d09-440e-8b28-7dfcee453f2e'    e1488c51-9109-4d75-a37d-f46b586b4b6f

01/17/2011 12:36:12.77    w3wp.exe (0x3C38)    0x1240    SharePoint Foundation    Monitoring    nasq    Medium    Entering monitored scope (ExecuteWcfServerOperation)    e1488c51-9109-4d75-a37d-f46b586b4b6f

01/17/2011 12:36:12.82    w3wp.exe (0x3C38)    0x1240    SharePoint Foundation    Monitoring    b4ly    Medium    Leaving Monitored Scope (ExecuteWcfServerOperation). Execution Time=38.3504048698927    e1488c51-9109-4d75-a37d-f46b586b4b6f

Also, we have multiple site collections on that web application, some were migrated from 2007 (we'll call one /sites/2007) and some were pure 2010 (we'll call one /sites/2010/). The error is only showing for the pure 2010 sites cols, while the migrated sites cols are working fine. I'm still looking for other differences between the site cols.

Also, if I go into Central Admin > View web analytics reports > choose that web application, and go to Top Pages i can see stats for both /sites/2007/ and /sites/2010/ so the analytics are being captured for all site collections, I just can't access the reports on the /sites/2010/ site collection due to the error above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This problem occurs only if you have specify the QuickLaunchDataSource before the TopNavigationDataSource.
    To resolve this problem, you have to toggle this 2 delegate controls in your Masterpage :
    Put :
    <SharePoint:DelegateControl runat="server" ControlId="TopNavigationDataSource" Id="topNavigationDelegate">
    <Template_Controls>
    <asp:SiteMapDataSource ShowStartingNode="False" SiteMapProvider="SPNavigationProvider" id="topSiteMap" runat="server" StartingNodeUrl="sid:1002" />
    </Template_Controls>
    </SharePoint:DelegateControl>

Before :
    <SharePoint:DelegateControl runat="server" ControlId="QuickLaunchDataSource">
    <Template_Controls>
    <asp:SiteMapDataSource SiteMapProvider="SPNavigationProvider" ShowStartingNode="False" id="QuickLaunchSiteMap" StartingNodeUrl="sid:1025" runat="server" />
    </Template_Controls>

Hope this help !

Monday, September 12, 2011 12:23 PM

All replies

• I am receiving the exact same error in our deployment.  Does anyone have an answer for this?  Thanks.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 7:18 PM
  • The SharePoint log you posted is related to Web Analytics, but it is not an error message. Usually, the error message contain the words “Unexpected” instead of “Medium”. Please read http://blogs.msdn.com/b/opal/archive/2009/12/22/uls-viewer-for-sharepoint-2010-troubleshooting.aspx for more.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:38 AM
  • I understand that, but there were no errors in the log, this is every entry that matched that correlation ID.

One new thing I noticed: when I go to

http://server.domain.net:32843/b5b559b9118949f78ad3aa8ef9b6863b/WebAnalyticsService.svc

I get the error below:

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error. For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

I edited the web.config file below

C$\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\WebServices\Shared\WebAnalytics\web.config

Set this value to true

<serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true " />

After reloading the page I got the same error "the server was unable to process..."

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:31 PM
  • I reloaded the page again and this time I did get all the same ULS entries already mentioned plus this new one which wasn't showing up before:

w3wp.exe (0x28E8)        0x12B4  SharePoint Foundation Runtime               tkau       Unexpected                System.ArgumentException: Could not find the sitemap node with URL '/_layouts/WebAnalytics/WebAppSelection.aspx'.   

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.SiteMapDataSource.GetNodes()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.SiteMapDataSource.GetTreeView(String viewPath)     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.GetData(String viewPath)     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.DataBindItem(MenuItem item)     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.PerformDataBinding()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.PerformSelect()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.EnsureDataBound()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.AspMenu.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:54 PM
  • We've discovered the problem is related to a custom master page. Using v4.master or nightandday.master causes everything to work. using our custom.master breaks the web analytics page with the error below:

stem.ArgumentException: Could not find the sitemap node with URL '/_layouts/WebAnalytics/WebAppSelection.aspx'.   

Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:04 AM
  • We're having the same problem and have determine the same thing.  When changing to one of the OOTB master pages everything works.  Have you discovered what it is in the custom masterpage that is causing the issue or how to resolve it?  I'm going to be working on the issues today and will keep you updated if I discover how to resolve it.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Our first thought was some missing content placeholders in the master page, but after finding all the ones that were in nightandday.master but not in custom.master and adding those back into custom.master we're still having the same issue. I'm assuming since the error is related to a sitemap node that the issue must be with the SharePoint:AspMenu, Sharepoint:SPNavigationManager, or some other navigation related control.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Anythony,

I acutally was able to resolve the issue we had, although ours appeared to be slightly different.  We had customized our masterpage and replace the quick launch with a custom control.  This was causing our Report.aspx page to through an error.  I opened up Report.aspx and changed <%@ Page Language="C#" DynamicMasterPageFile="~masterurl/default.master" to <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="/_layouts/v4.master" where v4.master was the OOTB v4.master page.  This allowed the Report.aspx page to use the stand Quick Launch controls and the web analytics page started working.

That fixed it for us.  One of the other things you could look into that I ran across trying to find this solution, is to look at the layouts.sitemap file in _app_bin and make sure you have the Web Analytics lines in that file.  I don't think that should be related to the error and why it only happens with a customized masterpage, but I saw someone else mentioning that causing an error similar to this.  If you have a working install of SP2010, even in dev, you can compare the files and see if somehow a change was made in that file.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions.

~Ben

Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:15 PM
  • It's generally not recommended to modify files on the file system like that. It would be better to locate the problem inside your custom master page. I found the lines of code in our master page that was causing the error. It was the content placeholder id=PlaceHolderHorizontalNav which originally had an aspmenu, delegate control, template control, site map data source, etc. and once we cleared all that content out then everything loaded fine.

Friday, January 28, 2011 10:48 PM
  • I ran into this same problem - to expand upon Anthony's last reply, what we ended up doing was placing the following in the bottom of our custom master page - in the 'Hidden Placeholder' section:

<!-- Hidden Placeholders -->

<asp:Panel visible="false" runat="server">

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderTopNavBar" runat="server">

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderHorizontalNav" runat="server">

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

</asp:Panel>

Once we then deployed this updated master page out, the Web Analytics page started working.

Thanks,
    Chris

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Anthony & Chris,

I would agree with both of you that it isn't recommended to make that change to file on the file system.  I would side with both of you in trying to find the issue within the custom master page.  I also narrowed it down to the navigation provider in the custom master page I was working with, apparently due to the way the web analytics site work, it is rather particular about the navigation providers.

Our issue occurs though due to the fact that we still have the ContentPlaceHolders in place for both the top navigation and the quick launch navigation.  However, both of these are customized using a custom data provider for the navigation.  Thus, if I try to place into the master page the appropriate place holders and navigation that the web analytics pages are looking for, it either alters the navigation in our other sites in a way that is unacceptable...or, we get an error that duplicate ContentPlaceHolders exists since we have two NavigationPlaceHolders.  I may try to play around with the master page a little more and see if there is another way to work around the issue, but those are the circumstances that I encountered.

If there are any other suggestions on what I can add to the master page to eliminate this error without disruption the custom navigation or causing an error I'm definitely up for suggestions :)

~Ben

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Did any one solve this issues, my custom master page has all the content place holders, but cannot find a solution. I removed the quick launch form the master page. 

Any pointer is appreicaited. 

Regards

Janu

janu
    Monday, April 11, 2011 3:12 PM
  • From what I've seen it's when you mess with the quick launch and/or navigation in the master page that this issue occurs.  Even though it's not following the recommend approach and best practices for SharePoint, the solution that I used above it the only way I've found to solve it at this point in time and is the solution that we are still currently using to resolve this issue.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 4:44 PM
  • I think I found it.

Look for the placeholder

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderLeftNavBar" runat="server">

We had that placeholder on our masterpage but we closed it right away :<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderLeftNavBar" runat="server" />

Same error.

Anyway, below is a sample from our masterpage that fixed the error for us:

<!--DO NOT CLOSE HERE -->		 <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderLeftNavBar" runat="server" >
     		      			 <!-- The quick launch bar / left navigation -->

<SharePoint:DelegateControl ID="DelegateControl5" runat="server"
    						    ControlId="QuickLaunchDataSource">
    					     <Template_Controls>
    						    <asp:SiteMapDataSource
    						    SiteMapProvider="SPNavigationProvider"
    						    ShowStartingNode="False"
    						    id="QuickLaunchSiteMap"
    						    StartingNodeUrl="sid:1025"
    						    runat="server"
    						    />
    					     </Template_Controls>
    		       <SharePoint:AspMenu
    			       id="V4QuickLaunchMenu"
    			       runat="server"
    			       EnableViewState="false"
    			       DataSourceId="QuickLaunchSiteMap"
    			       UseSimpleRendering="true"
    			       UseSeparateCss="false"
    			       Orientation="Vertical"
    			       StaticDisplayLevels="2"
    			       MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="0"
    			       SkipLinkText=""
    			       CssClass="s4-ql" />			

<!-- top navigation area -->
    	        <div class="s4-notdlg" style="display:none">
    		        <!-- top navigation menu (set to use the new Simple Rendering) -->
    		        <SharePoint:AspMenu
    		         ID="TopNavigationMenuV4"
    		         Runat="server"
    		         EnableViewState="false"
    		         DataSourceID="topSiteMap"
    		         AccessKey="<%$Resources:wss,navigation_accesskey%>"
    		         UseSimpleRendering="true"
    		         UseSeparateCss="false"
    		         Orientation="Vertical"
    		         StaticDisplayLevels="2"
    		         MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="1"
    		         SkipLinkText=""
    		         CssClass="s4-tn"/>
    		        <SharePoint:DelegateControl runat="server" ControlId="TopNavigationDataSource" Id="topNavigationDelegate">
    			        <Template_Controls>
    				        <asp:SiteMapDataSource
    				         ShowStartingNode="False"
    				         SiteMapProvider="SPNavigationProvider"
    				         id="topSiteMap"
    				         runat="server"
    				         StartingNodeUrl="sid:1002"/>
    			        </Template_Controls>
    	        </div>
             <div style="width:200px;">

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder><!-- HERE WE CLOSE PlaceHolderLeftNavBar -->

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

This problem occurs only if you have specify the QuickLaunchDataSource before the TopNavigationDataSource.
    To resolve this problem, you have to toggle this 2 delegate controls in your Masterpage :
    Put :
    <Template_Controls>
    <asp:SiteMapDataSource ShowStartingNode="False" SiteMapProvider="SPNavigationProvider" id="topSiteMap" runat="server" StartingNodeUrl="sid:1002" />
    </Template_Controls>

Before :
    <Template_Controls>
    <asp:SiteMapDataSource SiteMapProvider="SPNavigationProvider" ShowStartingNode="False" id="QuickLaunchSiteMap" StartingNodeUrl="sid:1025" runat="server" />
    </Template_Controls>

Hope this help !

Monday, September 12, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Hey thanks Aymeric,

It is working for me.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:11 AM
  • hi,

i got same error and i have updated above code but problem is same

Thanks

Arvind kumar Software Developer
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

I got the same error on our site while accessing the WebAnalytics report pages with our custom master pages. I fixed it by moving the SiteMapDataSource (SPNavigationProvider) Deletgate Control above the SiteMapDataSource (SPSiteMapProvider) DelegateControl. Also make sure that SiteMapDataSource (SPNavigationProvider) is above the <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderLeftNavBar" runat="server"> 

i.e. In the master page,

<Template_Controls>

<asp:SiteMapDataSource SiteMapProvider="SPNavigationProvider"

ShowStartingNode="False"

id="QuickLaunchSiteMap"

StartingNodeUrl="sid:1025"

runat="server"/>

</Template_Controls>

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderLeftNavBar" runat="server">                                         

<!-- This should be below the SPNavigationProvider (above control) in the custom master page. -->

<Template_Controls>

<asp:SiteMapDataSource  ShowStartingNode="True"

SiteMapProvider="SPSiteMapProvider"

id="topSiteMap"

runat="server"/>

</Template_Controls>

Friday, February 03, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Here's a quick fix

Open this file:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\WebAnalytics\Report.aspx

Change:

DynamicMasterPageFile="~masterurl/default.master"

To:

MasterPageFile="/_layouts/v4.master"

Note: This will force the analytics report to use v4.master instead of your custom master page, so you will lose your customized UI/branding when viewing analytics.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:11 PM