none
Linking two different Lists in SharePoint

Question

• I have created two lists in my  wss 3.0 SharePoint Site, 1) Projects ID and 2) Developers Details . The Projects ID list allows users to create basic projects with different  fields i.e  project id, title, created by, assigned to, etc And the Developers List contains fields of  Title, name, Estimated days, Active, etc.

Can anyone please guide me how to create the link so that if the press first project in Project Id , I should know the developers details working in that project.

Thanks

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:23 PM

All replies

• Is this just to view or will the two lists need to update something?  If it is just a view then you can have one web part send a row of values to a second web part and have the second web part filter on those values.  To send/receive connections between web part go to Site Actions -> Edit Page.  On the Edit menu for the web part there is a connections option. 

You might want to do this in SharePoint Designer because it is easier to set up a drop down in the first web part.  I think SharePoint uses a popup choice screen if you stick with the SP interface (not SP designer).

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:44 PM
  • CQWP maybe

Sercan Acar

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:12 PM
  • hi ,

thanks for the reply but my view is to update between the two lists at regular intervals, eg, in the first list if it contains project details and second list contains developers details, then there may be changes in developers team so it should give correct record of which developer is presently working in the particular project.

can you please clarify this query

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:44 PM
  • thank you Sercan for the site details of http://www.newquayfood.co.uk , can any one please give me an idea how to create the link in the sharepoint according to the above site in Central Grill page, you have left side Menu web part and Right side the details of each item. I want to know how to create this link using sharepoint.

Regards

Friday, January 04, 2008 9:43 AM
  •  

Here is a link to WSS 3.0 help on microsoft's site on how to create a link between two web parts on a web part page...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/HA100241051033.aspx?pid=CH101786611033

To replicate the Central Grill page, you would create a webpart page with two web parts - one in the left column that would feed data to the web part in the right column.

- Ben

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:22 AM
  •  

Hi,

From your first response it sounded like some fields will need to be updated, but the Central Grill site that you supplied a link for doesn't have any fields to update.  If you just want to filter then you can do that with web part connections.  If you do want to update fields then check out the following link.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/HA101191141033.aspx?pid=CH100667641033

You can use dataviews in SharePoint Designer to set up forms.  If you want to lock some fields so that they can not be edited, but others should be edited then you can change the datatypes of fields so that they are labels, data/time, number, etc.  Dataviews can also be filtered by web part connections just like webparts in SharePoint.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:32 PM