none
Embed a video in blog post

Answers

• I'm the PM for blogs.

At this time it's not possible to insert web parts into blog posts - you'll have to link to the video or build a custom solution that allows embedding video.

I make SharePoint Catch me on twitter (@spwiki) or email (kevin.davis@microsoft.com)
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is a very simple way to achieve this .

using a Content editor web part to be placed on the page.
    Source of video file can be from same web application or it can be external source as well or video sitting on some shared drive of your network which everybody has an access.

Go ahead and add content editor web part.
    Add following line of code.

<Embed
    src="{URL of video / Shared Path pointing to video file}"
    width=350
    height=350
    align=center
    autostart=false
    loop=false
    quality=high
    allowFullScreen=true>
    </Embed>

also check this sample http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=194

Best Regards, Ammar MCT http://ahmed-ammar.blogspot.com Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Is it possible to add content editor web part to a Blog Post?!
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:29 PM
  • you may need to follow the next link for blogs

Best Regards, Ammar MCT http://ahmed-ammar.blogspot.com Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:50 PM
  • I'm the PM for blogs.

At this time it's not possible to insert web parts into blog posts - you'll have to link to the video or build a custom solution that allows embedding video.

I make SharePoint Catch me on twitter (@spwiki) or email (kevin.davis@microsoft.com)
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Any chance there is a new solution to embed videos in blog posts?

Our company is considering using Sharepoint as an Intranet, but this is a real show stopper.

Friday, June 04, 2010 2:56 PM
  • This post worked for me, not too difficult....

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/12/11/video-blogging-with-javascript-and-the-media-web-part.aspx

The blog template security seems a bit incorrect for visitors.  Visitors don't have any rights to the Comments list, which is why commenting d/n appear for them.  If you change the permissions for the Comments list for a blog site to allow visitors contribute access, they will be able to comment.

/bac
    • Proposed as answer by BobChauvin Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:04 PM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Kevin,

On 11 Dec 2009 3:17 PM, Mihai Coman posted this: video-blogging-with-javascript-and-the-media-web-part

describing how to add video to a blog post in SP2010.

Has this functionality been disabled since Mihai's post, or does this fall into the catebory of, "build a custom solution that allows embedding video ..."

Thanks!

Wendell

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Hey Kevin,

Does your comment still apply today? Does it mean there is no way to enable the insert Video and Audio button on the blog post page?

The message reads "This control is currently disabled" and "you might not have the right permission level to use this." when I hover over the button on a blog post page. However it works fine on the same page in a content editor web part or a publishing area.

Thanks,

Drew

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:49 PM
  • It's crazy that Sharepoint "blogs" don't allow you to embed video code or offer any way to embed video!! There is a video publishing tool in Microsoft LiveWriter and yet that doesn't even work for SP 2010 blogs. As someone else pointed out, this is a REAL SHOW STOPPER.

I was able to embed a Youtube video on a wiki page using the Content Editor Web Part as detailed here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/12/11/video-blogging-with-javascript-and-the-media-web-part.aspx

mahalie
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:46 AM
  • Hi, I solved this problem by using Event Receiver to update the content database directly after SP truncated the embed tag when an item in 'Posts' list was added/updated. However, it may not be the proper way to handle this kind of problem because the content database need to be updated manually.

Here is my code snippet 

public override void ItemAdded(SPItemEventProperties properties)
        {

try
          {
            base.ItemAdded(properties);
            this.EventFiringEnabled = false;

SPWeb site = properties.Web;
            SPList list = site.Lists[properties.ListId];
            SPListItem item = list.GetItemById(properties.ListItemId);
            SPField bodyField = item.Fields["Body"];

string body = properties.AfterProperties["Body"].ToString();
            UpdateUserDate(properties.ListItemId, properties.ListId, emoticons);

}
          catch (Exception ex)
          {
            properties.Cancel = true;
            properties.ErrorMessage = ex.Message + " " +ex.StackTrace;
          }
          finally
          {
            this.EventFiringEnabled = true;
          }
        }

private void UpdateUserDate(int itemID, Guid listID, string body)
        {

string connectionString = "Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;Initial Catalog=WSS_Content_DB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=user;Password=password";
          DataClassesWSSContentDataContext db = new DataClassesWSSContentDataContext(connectionString);
          Table<AllUserData> userData = db.GetTable<AllUserData>();

var u = (from d in userData
               where d.tp_ListId == listID
               && d.tp_ID == itemID
               select d).Single();

u.ntext2 = body;
          db.SubmitChanges();
        }

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:05 PM
  • @ChrisL1945

That creates an unsupported environment as you're accessing the DB directly.  Please do not promote modifying SharePoint databases directly.  While it seems that Microsoft may have dropped the ball on this issue, I'm sure a custom solution could be built to work around this.  Perhaps a custom Blog site def with a custom Post Content Type?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

There is a very simple way to achieve this .

using a Content editor web part to be placed on the page.
    Source of video file can be from same web application or it can be external source as well or video sitting on some shared drive of your network which everybody has an access.

Go ahead and add content editor web part.
    Add following line of code.

<Embed
    src="{URL of video / Shared Path pointing to video file}"
    width=350
    height=350
    align=center
    autostart=false
    loop=false
    quality=high
    allowFullScreen=true>
    </Embed>

also check this sample http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=194

That's a nice idea; but, doesn't this solution stick the same embedded video into every blog post?

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:32 AM