none
Is there easy way to move a file in SharePoint?

Question

• Hello SharePoint Fam,

I am kind of lost on what may be the easiest way for users to move files within a library to a different folder within same library?  I have tried explorer option and it doesnt work, get error:"Cannon Move: Cannot Read from the source file or disk" but the weird part is I am 100% able to drag and drop with no problems, guessing that is becuase I am collection admin.  Is there a easy solution out there that could be used to allow users to easily move files from one location is same document library to a different folder within same library?

Thanks n advance!

• Edited by 41globalit Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:46 PM error
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:39 PM

Answers

• I've seen this error before, but only when moving between libraries across site collections with explorer view. Our users can cut and paste or drag and drop without error. Is it only one user having the problem?

I managed to fix most of our explorer view issues with the following settings on the users machine. If it works for you, maybe think about pushing the settings to all users through group policy:

1. Make sure site is added to the trusted sites in Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites
    2. Uncheck "Automatically Detect Settings" in Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings
    3. Restart WebClient Service in Services.msc

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:03 PM

All replies

• Are you sure you're copying from within the library if you're generating that error?  I sometimes see that if someone is copying straight from DVD.

As an alternative, you can try mapping the library to a network drive and copy/paste items in bulk that way.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:14 PM
  • 100% moving, trying to drag and drop from within library/explorer view.  Also tried mapping the path and drag and drop and got same exact error as well.  Even gave user full control over library and still same error....  Using the send to other location works fine but that makes a copy and does not do a actual move, it leaves behind a copy stilll in oriignal path. thnx
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Unfortunately, MOVING files isn't possible in the classic sense of the word.  What you have to do instead is to Copy & Paste the files and then delete the original source files.

See this for reference:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825522/en-us

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://blog.cjvandyk.com | LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | Quix Utilities for SharePoint | SharePoint Admin Nav Console (SPANC)

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:19 PM
  • If you go to the Manage Content and Structure you can copy or move documents from within one Document library in a site to another Document library in a completely different site.  

You cannot move a Document library using the Manage Content and Structure – just the contents of a library.

Site Actions > Manage Content and Structure > Locate Document > Click Check Box > Select Actions > Select Move > Select library you want it moved too.

Hope that helps!

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Thanks so much, i currently have that manage content structure blocked but will try to walk them through using the send to other location for now.  Hopefully I can find something in future or SharePoint makes a easier move option within actual library view.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:46 PM
  • I've seen this error before, but only when moving between libraries across site collections with explorer view. Our users can cut and paste or drag and drop without error. Is it only one user having the problem?

I managed to fix most of our explorer view issues with the following settings on the users machine. If it works for you, maybe think about pushing the settings to all users through group policy:

1. Make sure site is added to the trusted sites in Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites
    2. Uncheck "Automatically Detect Settings" in Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings
    3. Restart WebClient Service in Services.msc

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:03 PM