none
Errors after database attach method upgrade and applying visual upgrade

Question

• Hi Everyone.

I am trying to upgrade a SP2007 instance to 2010 using the database attach method on a different server with 2010; the new server is CA and the WFE.  I was successful in getting the data across and everything works fine until I apply the visual upgrade.

Once I apply the visual upgrade, things change and errors arise.  For one, the view/hide ribbon is missing from the site actions.  I've also noticed that the Master Page option is gone from the Look and Feel section.

The biggest problem though is that anytime I try to publish a page (just make a minor change to an existing page and publish it) I get an error.  In the log:

04/10/2012 15:09:44.66  w3wp.exe (0x1B28)                        0x127C SharePoint Foundation          Runtime                        tkau Unexpected System.ArgumentException: Invalid SPListItem. The SPListItem provided is not compatible with a Publishing Page.    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingPage.GetPublishingPage(SPListItem sourceListItem)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.WebControls.PublishingPagePublishHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)     at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) 9239ce4b-6755-4119-9a64-c7066ed3f7e5

Anyone know why this is happening?

The 2010 config database is version 14.0.6029.1000

Thanks in advance,

David

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:20 PM

Answers

• I can't believe this.  After stumbling around I reverted back to the V3 UI and started looking at the settings.  The site collection features looked fine and I did not think to look at the site features until just a few minutes ago (more out of curiosity than anything else)

The SharePoint Server Publishing feature was not activated in the site features (not site collection features as I kept going to).  Once this was activated, all the issues went away.  Hooray!!!

• Proposed as answer by Soumya B Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by MCPSSPA Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By going to the original MOSS 2007 site, can you please check whether the publishing feature was enabled there and if so, can you enable the same for this site collection manually in SP 2010, orat least double check if the same is enabled here as well?

Very weird to know that the master page option is disabled in Site Settings. What happens when you try to access it directly:

Your Site Url/_Layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx

Thanks, Soumya | MCITP, SharePoint 2010

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Hi Soumya, thanks for the reply.

If you mean the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure, yes it is active in both the 2007 and 2010 sites.  And yes, I can access the master page settings by navigating to the url.

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Alright. Yes I meant "SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure". So this is very strange.

By default, irrespective of your MOSS 2007 master page, after visual upgrade the master page defaulted to v4.master. By going to Your Site Url/_Layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx directly, can you change the master page to something else (for example nightandday.master) and check if that made any differences.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Yes, I can change the master page in either the old UI or after the visual upgrade is applied.  However, once the visual upgrade is applied, the exception that I detailed above is thrown when clicking publish.

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

OK. Can you elaborate the steps that you followed to do your visual upgrade?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Just to double check, whether visual upgrade was successful for all Sites under your web application, can you run the following PowerShell and make sure the results return only 4 and not 3?

$db = Get-SPContentDatabase "Your content database"
    $db.Sites | Get-SPWeb -limit all | ForEach-Object {$_.UIVersion}

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Again, thanks for your help.

the results all return 4

This is after applying the visual upgrade.  Do you need me to roll back the visual upgrade and run that again?
    • Edited by MCPSSPA Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:18 PM
  • No. Thanks for patiently following through. I really have no additional clues. You may try to detach the database once and reattach it. I would also like to know if someone else in the commuity suggests some other step.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Thanks for your help and patience.

Are you referring to the content db?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:51 PM
  • I can't believe this.  After stumbling around I reverted back to the V3 UI and started looking at the settings.  The site collection features looked fine and I did not think to look at the site features until just a few minutes ago (more out of curiosity than anything else)

The SharePoint Server Publishing feature was not activated in the site features (not site collection features as I kept going to).  Once this was activated, all the issues went away.  Hooray!!!

• Proposed as answer by Soumya B Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by MCPSSPA Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Alrigh. Thanks for sharing.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:00 PM