none
Can't search within PDF files

Question

• I've installed the Adobe Ifilter 6.0 and can now search to list posted pdf files in multiple sites by querying the pdf name.  I can search content within Word files, but still cannot search content within these pdf files. 

Is there something else I need to configure to see content within these pdf files?  I can't seem to find any clues to what needs to be tweaked.  Thanks. 

Thursday, February 08, 2007 9:36 PM

Answers

• Where did you installed the Ifilter in your farm? I filter has to be installed on the Index machine.

Also, which version of Adobe are you using in creating PDF files? current iFilter provided by Adobe only supports 6.0 format. this means that if you are using 7.0 pdf format (last one) you will not be able to index any PDF file contents.

this is a limitation of current version of iFilter provided by Adobe and might be correctly shortly with a new version of PDF iFilter.

HTH,

Luca

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 3:25 AM

All replies

• What version of Windows are you using? we discovered that when we upgraded our system to Windows 2003 64 bit, the adobe iflilter stopped working. We are attempting to work with MS and Adobe, but have received minimal support so far.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 9:02 AM
  • Running regular Windows 2003 Web Server Ed. 32-bit for all roles except db which is Std Ed. running SQL 2003 sp4.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Hi EWANAME,

The iFilter for some reason is not installing correctly. Try the following.

·          Click on Start> Run and type RegEdit

·          Go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\Search\Applications\[YOUR  GUID]\Gather\Search\Extensions\ExtensionList”

·          Add a new REG_SZ value and name it 38.

·          Set this new string value to pdf.

·          Exit RegEdit

·          Stop and Start the SharePoint Search Service. 

·          Start > Run : net stop spsearch

·          Start > Run : net start spsearch

Monday, February 12, 2007 6:12 AM
  • Thanks, but I had already added this key and value per my research.  Other ideas?
    Monday, February 12, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Where did you installed the Ifilter in your farm? I filter has to be installed on the Index machine.

Also, which version of Adobe are you using in creating PDF files? current iFilter provided by Adobe only supports 6.0 format. this means that if you are using 7.0 pdf format (last one) you will not be able to index any PDF file contents.

this is a limitation of current version of iFilter provided by Adobe and might be correctly shortly with a new version of PDF iFilter.

HTH,

Luca

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 3:25 AM
  • It's installed on my Index role.  Your info re: PDF versions may be right on, most likely all PDF's here as well as those we download are likely v7.0 as this version has been out for a while now.  I don't get why the Ifilter hasn't been updated, and v8.0 is out now as you know. 

We also use a freeware/shareware PDF writer called PDF995 www.pdf995.com and I'm now wondering if IFilter can index these.  The Sharepoint Search functionality we want doesn't have as much value by far if it can't accomodate these differences. 

Thanks for your info!  Any additional info is appreciated. 

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:23 PM
  • what version of SharePoint is this ? 2003 or 2007 ?
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:09 PM
  • On our WSS 3.0 system, indexing PDF files did not work for existing PDF files. In order to have them indexed by the crawler we had to upload the PDF files again.

Try uploading new PDF files and see if those are indexed.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:51 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. My Operating System is Windows 2003 R2 x64 with SQL Server 2005 and WSS 3.0. I'm running the latest iFilter version -- 6.0 and have verified all registry settings. Some of the pdf files are indexing properly, but I believe that the ones created with Adobe 8.0 are not indexing content at all. I assume this is a bug with that software combination and hoping it will be fixed very soon. This is limiting the usefulness of Sharepoint.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:34 AM
  • As was stated earlier in the thread, this is a different issue. Adobe have not released a filter for x64 machines running x64 operating systems. The 32-bit filter you have installed is known not to work for x64 operating systems.

See http://www.asaris.de/sites/walsh/Lists/WSSv3%20FAQ/DispForm.aspx?ID=790&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Easaris%2Ede%2Fsites%2Fwalsh%2FLists%2FWSSv3%2520FAQ%2FAllItems%2Easpx

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:52 AM
  • Hi All I'm not sure if you're still looking for a solution but here you go. 

There's one simple workaround to get the filter running on 64 bit MOSS 2007. The steps are given below.

1.       Install Foxit 64bit PDF Ifilter. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/ifilter/

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/ifilter/

2.       Add a pdf extension in MOSS search settings

3.       Open regedit, locate [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0\Search\Setup\ContentIndexCommon\Filters\Extension\.pdf]

4.       Change the default value to {987f8d1a-26e6-4554-b007-6b20e2680632} .

5.       Recycle the search service: net stop osearch
                                                  net start osearch

6.       Start a full crawl to index your pdf documents Smile

Check out the Ifilter blog

http://blogs.msdn.com/ifilter/archive/2007/05/10/long-awaited-64-bit-pdf-ifilter-finally-available.aspx

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Are the PDF files you're posting searchable? In other words, if you open them up in Adobe Reader or Acrobat Professional, can you search for text within them successfully? If not, there will be no content for OSearch to index.

If they are image-based PDFs (i.e. documents that have been created using a scanner), you'll need to perform OCR (optical character recognition) on them before they become searchable.

Acrobat Professional has OCR in it.

Bradley

Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I was with you on your first posting of the registry path up to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions

After that I don't have 12.0, only 5.0 and 6.0, plus All Ports, AV Scanner, Ports, and Secure

My OS is SBS 2003 R2 Premium in a 32-bit flavor. SPS and SQL Server 9.0 run on the same machine. I ran the iFilter for 6.0 installation, but nothing gets indexed.

Shut down what services, run the iFilter install again, and restart services in what order?...

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Hi there,

I had the same issue a while ago...

I removed Ifilter 6.0 and stopped the search (in the ssp) and also from the command prompt   net stop -osearch

then I applied this blogs install of Adobe reader to the server.....

BUT be sure you first open the reader up on the server to get rid of the dialog tha comes with it.....

http://blogs.msdn.com/ifilter/archive/2007/03/29/indexing-pdf-documents-with-adobe-reader-v-8-and-moss-2007.aspx

Hope it helps  - it did for me...

Brebo

Monday, May 28, 2007 10:13 PM
  • They are scanned searchable PDFs produced by ABBYY Fine Reader's OCR.

The Adobe Reader's (Ctrl-F) find locates words within the documents.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:38 AM
  • This blog article seems to apply to SharePoint 3.0 (and I'll probably be reading it again next month) but the SharePoint Site that I'm working with is the one (companyweb) that is included in the Small Business Server 2003 installation.

It is 2.0 and because of some special SBS functions that it provides can't be upgraded to 3.0. (SBSWSSv3.doc describes how 2.0 and 3.0 can be installed side by side on an SBS server, but that's another project for another day).

It can, however be moved into a SQL Server 2005 from the default Express install, so that full text search can be enabled, and it works well on MS formatted files.

Apparently, there are some sequence-of-process issues that need to be handled for this filter to work properly?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:53 AM