none
Why is it not recommended to backup IIS metadata?

Question

• In the following technet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663490.aspx I found the following statement "We do not recommend that you use IIS metabase backup to protect your IIS settings. Instead, document all IIS configurations for each Web server by using a tool that provides the configuration monitoring you want, such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager.

I wonder what was the reason for this recommendation and how it would impact the SharePoint if you perform backup. I might think that it's due to SharePoint modification of IIS metabase during recovery, but can't find anything to prove it

SharePoint 2007 - 2010 Tips & Tricks Portal | Microsoft MVP | My Blog about Information Management | My twitter
    Sunday, September 05, 2010 5:59 AM

Answers

• Michael,

There is no HARM in performing an IIS metabase backup. The wording is saying don't rely on it for "protecting" your settings for SharePoint. SharePoint maintains the IIS Settings in the configuration database. You can safely stop and start the SharePoint services wich will delete and restore your IIS sites. The goal for site restoration goes beyond just the metabase and extends to SharePoint configuration itself.

HTH,

Matthew

Matthew McDermott, MVP MOSS
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:34 PM