none
The workbook cannot be opened - Data Validation

Question

• Hi all

I have a Windows 7, MS Office 2007 and MS Sharepoint 2010.

When I try to put an Excel document, it appears the following message:

Excel

The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser:

- Data validation.

Would you like to try and open this file in Excel?

And I can't see threw Sharepoint 2010, however I can see it when I open it in Excel.

Now, a colleague of mine had an other document, and he can see it without any kind of problem. And I can see it as well.

My question is: What has my document wrong, so that I can't see it?

And I have already erased the data validation of my document, and still with no sucess.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Diogo Água

Monday, December 31, 2012 3:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you get the Data validation error when you try to open an Excel file in client application but not when open it in browser.  Is it a Excel 2010 file or Excel 2007 file? Does this error occurs when you open this file in Excel 2010?

Make sure that this file is not broken. Download a copy of this file and edit it Excel client. Remove the Consolidation, Data sources and Data validations on the file to have a test whether it fixes this issue.

You can refer to this site for more information about unsupported features when open an excel file in browser:

Differences between using a workbook in the browser and in Excel: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/differences-between-using-a-workbook-in-the-browser-and-in-excel-HA010369179.aspx

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Had a similar issue and could not get the Excel file to open.  After selecting Yes to “Would you like to try and open this file in Excel?”, there was another error stating “To open this workbook, your computer must have a version of Microsoft Excel installed and your Web browser must support opening files directly from Excel in the browser” and the file could not be opened.  Excel was installed, therefore that was not the issue.

We identified this issue was related to using the IE 63-bit.  Once we changed to IE 32-bit, this was no longer an issue.

Our scenario was with SharePoint 2010, IE 10, and Excel 2007.

Posting in case it helps.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:08 PM