none
TODAY function

Question

• I am trying to set the default value for a text field to a formatted string made up of date and time values but I have been unsuccessful at getting the current time from the TODAY function.  it  does not seem to return the time portion of the current date/time.

If you set the default value of a text field to be =text(today,"mm-dd-yyyy h:mmTongue Tieds") you will see "05-12-2008 0:00:00"

=YEAR(Today)

=MONTH(Today)

=DAY(Today)

all return the correct information but

=HOUR(Today)

=MINUTE(Today)

=SECOND(Today)

All return blank

How can I get the current time?

Thanks

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:57 PM

All replies

• Why not make it a date field instead of a text field? Then you have the option to set the default value to today's date & time.

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Because the objective is to generate a reference or document ID made up of text, date and time information such as:

2008-IT-34568.45689.

But, regardless of how this is to be used, the question remains: how to obtain the current time such as a VB now() function.

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:22 PM
  • By default, TODAY does not return the current time, as you have found.

By using SharePoint designer you can use the IncludeTimeValue attribute to return date and time. I describe how to do this here: http://nickgrattan.wordpress.com/2008/04/24/filtering-views-by-time-and-date/.

You should be able to apply this information to solve your problem.

Regards,

Nick Grattan

________

Blog: http://nickgrattan.wordpress.com

Web: http://www.nickgrattan.net

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:54 PM
  • I had already seen your workaround for filtering views by time - very clever.  But, in this case it doesn't apply because I am talking about getting this information at item creation time and I cannot alter the default new item webpart.

I could possibly create a custom list item form in Designer but the solution would be limited to the library and thos created from its template.

Isn't this a bug with TODAY? Afterall the description does say it returns a date-time serial.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:54 PM
  • Looks like I answered a different question!

The "Created" column has the date/time stamp of when the item was created. Can you create a workflow that's automatically executed when the item is created and then take the "Created" column value and format this as required and then copy into your text field?

Nick.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:29 PM
  • That would work except the user would never see it until they save the document and then edit the properties again.  Sort of defeats the purpose of a default value.

I am thinking I may need to create a custom list form where I have more control over the fields and can actually include scripts to take care of stuff like that.

It seems a pitty that such basic stuff like that slips through the cracks.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:55 PM
  • OK, I see your problem now. Yes, a custom list form is probably the way forward so best of luck! Nick.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Well Nick,

you did put me down the right path.

I have implemented a solution which ends up being much more robust than what I was aiming for- that is a good thing.

I modified my EditForm.aspx adding a variation of the code you pointed to and it now fills in my document ID with the year and serial number (2008-12345678901).

The problem now is that it only works when I edit a document's properties or upload a document to the document library.

It is completly ignored when I save a Word 2003 document to the document library.  The "Web File Properties" dialogue that comes after saving the file seems to be a different animal alltogether called from Word with this URL:

http://portal.mycompany.com/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?location=Documents/MyDoc.doc&dialogview=SaveForm

Any ideas on how to make that form/dialogue be the same as the EditForm.aspx I already customized?

Thanks,

Code Snippet

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderId="PlaceHolderMain" runat="server">
    <script type="text/javascript">
    _spBodyOnLoadFunctionNames.push("fillDefaultValues");
    function fillDefaultValues() {
    //  setLookupFromFieldName("<<FIELD DISPLAY NAME>>", vals["<<QUERYSTRING VARIABLE NAME>>"]);
     mdate = new Date;  //Current Date

mdate1= new Date; //date for begining of year
     mdate1.setFullYear(mdate.getYear(),"0","01");
     mdate1.setHours("0","0","0","0");

var mid=(mdate.getYear()+"-"+(mdate.getTime()-mdate1.getTime()));

setTextFromFieldName("DocumentID",mid);
     setFieldReadOnly("DocumentID", true)
    }

function getTagFromIdentifierAndTitle(tagName, identifier, title) {
      var len = identifier.length;
      var tags = document.getElementsByTagName(tagName);
      for (var i=0; i < tags.length; i++) {
        var tempString = tags[i].id;
        if (tags[i].title == title && (identifier == "" || tempString.indexOf(identifier) == tempString.length - len)) {
          return tags[i];
        }
      }
      return null;
    }

function setTextFromFieldName(fieldName, value) {
     if (value == undefined) return;
     var theInput = getTagFromIdentifierAndTitle("input","",fieldName);
     if (theInput.value == "" || theInput.value == undefined){
      theInput.value=value
     }
    }