none
Creating a UI

Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement in my company.I have to create a UI which consist of a number of columns and some of them are precalculated ones.There is also business logic associated with these columns.For example if the particular column is empty,the  colour of the column will get red. There are around 61 colour coding combinations for the columns.So,we need to design this UI in sharepoint 2010.

Two Approaches came to my mind.

1) Design the UI using ascx control and add it in a webpart.In this case we can also define Webpart properties to make it configurable.

2) Design a custom aspx page.

For the businness logic of the colour coding required in columns,i thought of using Javascript or Jquery.

Can anybody suggest me a better way?

Nehal Bhandari, Engineer development Sopra group India

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:42 AM

Answers

• Nehal,

Overall SharePoint is best suited for IE. There is a certain amount of deviation in other browsers.

But, if you are not going for any major customization then XSLT should be just fine.

As it is, all list view web parts are in XSLT web parts now.

Regards, Huzefa Mala, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Monday, March 26, 2012 7:31 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 7:05 AM

All replies

• Nehal,

If all the changes you are working on are UI related then XSLT styling would suit you best.

Please refer this blog for applying your colour coding to rows, columns:

http://www.jrjlee.com/2011/06/conditional-formatting-of-list-views.html

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Huzefa,

The requirement isn't a tricky one.They just have some simple colour codings.As far as Xslt is concerned,i haven't used it but just did a little google and found that xslt doesnt support cross browser compatiblity.

Nehal Bhandari, Engineer development Sopra group India

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Nehal,

Overall SharePoint is best suited for IE. There is a certain amount of deviation in other browsers.

But, if you are not going for any major customization then XSLT should be just fine.

As it is, all list view web parts are in XSLT web parts now.

• Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Monday, March 26, 2012 7:31 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 7:05 AM