none
How to send custom task email notification after collecting data from user in sharepoint workflow

Question

• Hi, the emails notifications sent out after a collecting data from a user / assigning a task in the workflow wizard in sharepoint are not sufficient for what I need.  I attempted to create my own email notification (Send an email action) with a specific task ID in it [%Tasks:ID%]  . The emails are only sent if I set my workflow action to run in parallel.  However i can't get the task ID if I do it this way.  The email generated puts a  ????? in place where I placed Tasks ID lookup.  If I run the actions in sequence then the email are only sent if I complete the task assigned to me first (This is the entire reason I'm sending this email to alert the user they have a task to complete).  

Does anyone know how I can send a custom email notification to alert a user they have a task assigned to them with a link to the task in the email?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes you can do this with the help of custom workflows. Get the ID of the Task Item and then place it in the below URL.

http://servername/Lists/Tasks/EditForm.aspx?"ID"

In place of ID write the ID of the Task item and this link will directly open the Task Edit form. I have created all my custom emails with the help of this only.

Regards
    Ginni
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:32 PM

All replies

• Yes, instead of Collecting data from user, you are creating new list item and passing whatever data you want into it, and pausing untill you your status field change.
    Paul Shkurikhin blog.sharepointalist.com
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you can do this with the help of custom workflows. Get the ID of the Task Item and then place it in the below URL.

http://servername/Lists/Tasks/EditForm.aspx?"ID"

In place of ID write the ID of the Task item and this link will directly open the Task Edit form. I have created all my custom emails with the help of this only.

Regards
    Ginni
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:32 PM
  • How do I pause until my status field changes? There's only the action "wait for field in current item"  I've created a new list separate from my document library where I store my infopath forms.

How do I listen for when a field changes in the new library where I've added the new list item?
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:14 PM
  • I figured it out.  I create another workflow on the new separate list to update the item in my original list.  Then in the original list I wait for field change in current item.

It works! I wish SPD let you wait for a change on an item in any list in the site!!!
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 12:10 AM
  • I think Ginni means to associate this custom workflow with the Task list. So, whenever a new task is created by the "Collectioning data from user", this workflow will be triggered.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:10 AM