none
Newbie Alert Question

Question

• i created a blog site and want to be alerted when a chane is made to "cataegory a". main blog site\categories\check "category a"\alert me\set alert on this item\configure alert - I get an email: Subject: An alert for 'category a' has been created – so I know SMTP is working. But when I click on the “My Alerts on this Site” link in the email, it says there are currently no alerts to display . . . confused . . . what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

-David

dfkon
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:55 PM

All replies

• Is that the only issue?  You just don't see it listed, or are you not getting any alerts when that exact category item is changed?  If you go back to the site now and click the dropdown on your name in the top right, then My Settings > My Alerts, do you still not see it?
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Friday, June 17, 2011 5:12 AM
  • Sorry for not being complete in the d3escription of the issue. I do not receive any alerts in addition to still not seeing any entries under "my Alerts" (checked again this morning)

Thanks

dfkon
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:48 PM
  • And how many times has that category been changed?  I wouldn't think a category name would change very often.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:01 PM
  • i see your point. but it does not alert me when i change the category name for testing. i do not receive alerts if I set alets for posts OR comments either . . . I think (and i realize I'm guessing here) the issue is that my alerts are not beiing saved - just created once and then gone . . .
    dfkon
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:05 PM
  • I've never seen that happen before where an alert is created and not saved.  However, I HAVE seen alerts get stuck where the initial notification email is received but the alerts are never received.  It takes a lot of digging into the content database to see if the alerts are getting queued and then getting picked up by the timer job (5 minutes).

It's definitely possible for the system to send the alert notification and not send the alert if there are back-end problems with the alerts getting blocked by the mailgate.

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:19 PM
  • hmmm . . . thanks . . . nice to know I'm blazing new ground here. Any ideas how to troubleshoot the lack of saving alerts? Possible something w/Central Admin vs. site admin?

I will work w/the EXCHANGE people, but how is it the initial alert could go out, but update alerts blocked by mailgate?

dfkon
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:23 PM
  • I don't believe you're blazing new ground.  It would take a lot to convince me the alerts are simply not getting "saved," especially when you get notification emails.

It wouldn't necessarily be exchange.  Your SharePoint Architect should be resolving this for you.

Alert creatio notifications come from a different place than actual alert emails.  It is all actually very complex - that is why your architect needs to be looking at this for you.

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:25 PM
  • thanks . . . only problem is I am the defacto archetect as I am the only admin in the department. . . it's a simple 1 machine instal w/sql for DB . . . nothing fancy. Basically a digital library of images/books for the residednet's to access. They want a site that allows for case discussion, so I thought a blog site would be good - ability to alert when mods to the site are made.
    dfkon
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Clayton, thanks much for your patience. It turns out I was using 2 accounts (we have 2 domains) - all the alerts ARE showing when I log on with the proper account. I am sorry I wasted you time on that one.

So if the alert creation notifications are generated from a differnt place than thethe alert e-mails, what do I need my EXCHANGE admins to do? I will be meeting with them and hope you can give me some ideas.

Thanks, David

dfkon
    Friday, June 17, 2011 7:51 PM
  • As I said, it isn't necessarily related to Exchange.  The only thing you can ask them to do is check the "mail gate" (whatever they use as their gateway for mail) and see if there are any errors or blockages.  Exchange may be blocking it, but it may be something deep within SharePoint, which will require looking directly at SQL tables.  This is not something a regular individual would do typically.

How were you logging in with different users?  If you set an alert, then whatever account you were logged in with would be the one you were checking with.  I don't see how you could be mixing up logins on the fly - that seems strange. 

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:03 PM
  • not good news on the alerts . . .  :-(

both accounts have full control, and i was logging in as one and choosing the other from the users: box

dfkon
    Friday, June 17, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Clayton, I appreciate your patience, just to be sure I'm doing this correctly, if I want to be alerted if anyone adds a post to the category:TBI . . . home\categories\check the box next to TBI\select alert me\set an alert on this item\keep defaults\receive email stating "alert 'TBI' has successfully ben added on 'yourblog'

create a post in category: TBI\publish\post shows . . but no alert . . .

are the steps above correct?

dfkon

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:22 PM