none
SharePoint 2010 FBA and Opera Browser - 403 Forbidden

Question

• I have configured SharePoint 2010 for FBA.

No customisation, using OOTB login page.

Using the SQL role and membership providers along with NTLM authentication on the same web app (no extended web app).

Web application is configured for claims authentication.

Web application and site collection are configured for anonymous access.

On ie, safari and firefox I can connect and see the site as anonymous.  Pick the 'sign in link' (being rendered by the OOTB welcome.ascx control) and I get prompted for user creditentials and can log in with an NTLM or FBA user - all works perfectly.

Opera (on the same Windows XP machine as the other browsers) gives a 403 forbidden when trying to render authenticate.aspx. 

This is the exact link.

http://cleanfba/_layouts/Authenticate.aspx?Source=%2FSitePages%2FHome%2Easpx

Can anyone profer a solution?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:49 PM

Answers

• Essentially the only real fix is to not use Opera.  It's not on the supported browser list.   Chrome isn't on the list either, although that one normally works.  Opera has always had issues with SharePoint and it isn't fixed in 2010.  Probably won't be fixed.  Here's the list of approved browsers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263526.aspx

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:04 PM
  • There was a similar problem with Opera in SharePoint 2007.  In that case it had something to do with Office Live being installed on the machine.  There are also reported issues with how Opera renders the Ribbon.  If FBA works with other browsers then I don't think its your configuration that is the problem.  There are issues with the way that Opera works behind the scenes. 
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:47 AM

All replies

• Essentially the only real fix is to not use Opera.  It's not on the supported browser list.   Chrome isn't on the list either, although that one normally works.  Opera has always had issues with SharePoint and it isn't fixed in 2010.  Probably won't be fixed.  Here's the list of approved browsers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263526.aspx

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Paul,  Thanks for the reply and guidance.  It would be good to know if you or anyone has experienced this exact problem.  This is for a public facing website hence we have no over which browser is being used.

I would be interested to know if this is definately a problem between opera and SP2010 or if it is perhaps something in our configuration or which may be changed perhaps by using an alternative authentication control or similar?

Stranglely the anonymous access to the site seems to work just fine with Opera.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 10:16 AM
  • There was a similar problem with Opera in SharePoint 2007.  In that case it had something to do with Office Live being installed on the machine.  There are also reported issues with how Opera renders the Ribbon.  If FBA works with other browsers then I don't think its your configuration that is the problem.  There are issues with the way that Opera works behind the scenes. 
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:47 AM
  • I have seen that with Claims Authentication and external IP, Sharepoint 2010 SP 1 and Opera 11.6 there seems to be a workaround on Client Side:

In Opera right Click select site Preferences

under Browser identification" drop-down, select "Identify as Internet Explorer"

For a server side workaround this may be helpful:

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/nielsen_travis/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=46

However Opera is not supported and may have other issues.

• Proposed as answer by Caroline2AT Tuesday, December 04, 2012 10:59 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

I am forced to find a solution to this problem with Opera. I found that selecting the exact URL of a custom login page works fine without your workaround. Unfortunately this is not acceptable for the final solution, to give people such a long URL.

I thought of a simple redirect to enter the server address to the login page, but attempts to do this in IIS failed. I do not know whether this is with my lack of skill in the administration, or perhaps with the Sharepoint server, you can not do that?
    Please help and best regards

• Edited by bartekC Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:01 PM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Opera is not in the list of supported Browsers and there is a workaround to make Opera "identify as Ineternt Explorer"

You should advice Users to use IE or Opera + Workaround.

You can try to redirect URLs with 'URL rewrite' but...  i can hardly imagine its leading anywhere. The basic Problem is that Opera does not behave correctly with HTTP Status 401 and 403.

Monday, June 18, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Opera is not in the list of supported Browsers and there is a workaround to make Opera "identify as Ineternt Explorer"

You should advice Users to use IE or Opera + Workaround.

You can try to redirect URLs with 'URL rewrite' but...  i can hardly imagine its leading anywhere. The basic Problem is that Opera does not behave correctly with HTTP Status 401 and 403.

Thanks .... I understand that Opera is not supported, but it is difficult to explain to our client ;). Besides, why in other web-based solutions there is no problem with Opera and authentication?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:06 AM
  • I'm not sure why it is so difficult to explain to clients.  Just show them the official list of supported browsers and point out that Opera isn't on the list.  That means its NOT SUPPORTED and something about the way the browser works doesn't work.  SharePoint uses Claims based authentication so there are additional things going on in the background when authenticating that evidently Opera doesn't support.  It just doesn't work and there is no workaround that I am aware of.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by bartekC Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:27 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:14 PM