none
Problem with "Export to Excel" feature in SharePoint 2010 using claims-based authentication

Question

• This one is a bit of a tough one. I've searched for clues everywhere on the internet but have found no information on this exact issue.

SharePoint 2010 is setup with the web application using claims-based authentication - Trusted Identity Provider (which is AD FS 2.0).

Everything works fine, but Exporting to Excel generates this error:
    You do not have adequate permissions to modify this list. Changes to your data cannot be saved.

We have got permissions to the lists we tested with. In some cases, we have tested with a Site Collection Administrator account. Also, Exporting to Excel works fine with MS Office 2010 (tried on multiple computers), but does not work with MS Office 2007 with SP 2 (tried on multiple computers).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Greg

Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

We were not able to reproduce this issue in lab environment with following steps.

+] Build a Sharepoint 2010 Lab.
    +] Configured ADFS claim based web application on port 10000 i.e. https://SharePoint:10000.
    +] Installed MS Office 2007.
    +] Created a Test file in XLS. Uploaded the document in shared document Document Library.
    +] Started the Excel calculation services from Services on Server of Central Administration.
    +] Selected the File ->Library menu on Ribbon -> Export to Spreadsheet. Operation completed successfully without any error.
    +] Added User2 as Contributor to the site. Logged into site using User 2. Repeated the above operation. Still got no error to export to spreadsheet.

If there is something different in your environment compared to above steps, please let us know.

If not then, could you please try to create a new web application and see if the issue is specific to environment / it is web application specific.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, January 24, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Try adding the site to the Trust Sites zone in IE, with "automatic login with current username and password" enabled.
    msdarlenet
    Monday, January 24, 2011 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hello Greg,

I have a test on my side with a web application using claim based authentication – Windows Live ID. In my scenario, Exporting to Excel button works fine with MS Office 2010 and .iqy file could be saved locally but I got “Excel cannot connect to the SharePoint list” error when Excel trying to open the list. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to do some further investigation.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Thanks Lily,

From our tests MS Office 2010 also works fine, but not MS Office 2007 (with SP2).

Cheers,
    Greg

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Hi Greg,

We were not able to reproduce this issue in lab environment with following steps.

+] Build a Sharepoint 2010 Lab.
    +] Configured ADFS claim based web application on port 10000 i.e. https://SharePoint:10000.
    +] Installed MS Office 2007.
    +] Created a Test file in XLS. Uploaded the document in shared document Document Library.
    +] Started the Excel calculation services from Services on Server of Central Administration.
    +] Selected the File ->Library menu on Ribbon -> Export to Spreadsheet. Operation completed successfully without any error.
    +] Added User2 as Contributor to the site. Logged into site using User 2. Repeated the above operation. Still got no error to export to spreadsheet.

If there is something different in your environment compared to above steps, please let us know.

If not then, could you please try to create a new web application and see if the issue is specific to environment / it is web application specific.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, January 24, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Try adding the site to the Trust Sites zone in IE, with "automatic login with current username and password" enabled.
    msdarlenet
    Monday, January 24, 2011 9:51 PM