none
Error when creating new Article Page in a document library on SharePpint 2010.

Question

• Hi,

I have come accross a problem when creating a new Article page in a document library with the Article Page content type in SharePoint 2010.

I created a standard document library, added the Article Page content type and removed the Document content type. Then on the ribbon I clicked on the New > Article Page button. SharePoint then gives me an error page. I tried this on 2 seperate installations of SharePoint 2010 and both times it failed.

The log file produces this:

System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPUtility.CreateParentFoldersForFile(SPList list, String url, Boolean createAsListItem)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.CreatePagePage.NewPageItemSave(String pageName, PageLayout pageLayout, String folderUrl)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.CreatePagePage.CreateStandardPage(String pageName)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.CreatePagePage.ButtonCreatePage_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)     at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) b7ff4221-413a-410c-b6f9-eb7263dbc548

Does anyone know why this could be happening? This is a something that I have done lots of times on MOSS 2007 and it has never given me any problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:15 PM

Answers

• The Article Page content type is specifically designed for publishing and won't work in a regular document library.  It can only be used in a Pages document library that is created when you turn on Publishing.  The pages document library has specific extensions for page layout content types.  Although it may have worked in SharePoint 2007 it shouldn't have and evidently the feature set in 2010 now makes it impossible.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Ghecko85 Thursday, July 08, 2010 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:42 PM

All replies

• The Article Page content type is specifically designed for publishing and won't work in a regular document library.  It can only be used in a Pages document library that is created when you turn on Publishing.  The pages document library has specific extensions for page layout content types.  Although it may have worked in SharePoint 2007 it shouldn't have and evidently the feature set in 2010 now makes it impossible.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Ghecko85 Thursday, July 08, 2010 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Thanks Paul! I did get it working on the Pages library and that was why I thought there must be something wrong with the standard library.
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 8:54 AM
  • I have the same problem, but i work around for example i have a MediaCenter Site instead of creating documentlibrary which i get an error when i add new Publishing page.

I crate a new subsite news under mediacenter site and use Page library created in the News Site.

this solution help a lot if you are planning for Multilingual Web Application

Saturday, July 21, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Publishing Page Layouts won't work in a regular document library.  They are designed to work in the Pages document library which has been specifically customized for them.  Page Layouts should have given a similar error if you tried to use them on a regular document library in 2007 too.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:18 PM
  • i am doing the migration now..i did the same thing..i created a content type..i added the ariticle page to document library..after that when ever i am adding the page to any library..that is shoeing this error

No XsltListViewWebPart was found on this page[/_layouts/CreatePage.aspx?List=%7BCBC1301D%2D4314%2D4C7A%2D8E9B%2D34A6E188A325%7D&RootFolder=%2Fen%2DUS

please help me..how to revert my sharepoint site clolection..

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:54 AM